• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Lying down puts pressure on my body

Anyone here who can feel that lying down feels extreamly heav for body.
I mean the pressure from the bed, gravity...
Sometime i feel i just have to sit up to relieve my body from the " bed-pressure".
It like it gets to heavy for my body. It releases after have been sitting up for some time.

Anyone???
(I had this for 3-4 years...gets worse...
Sleeping elevated on many pillows helps..)
Thankful for answers!

I know its a really strange problem. But im starting to feel a little desperate! I mean i cant lay down flat and sleep anymore, have to have pillows and that hurts my neck so....
I mean it so crazy!: the pressure from bed is heavy on my body. (!?). Its sick.
It feels like something deep inside my body gets strangled or blocked from the pressure on body from bed or floor etc.. It feels so bad that i have to sit up right away to relieve my body from it.
Maye i dont breath proper or tense my self...no idea.:bang-head::thumbdown:.... It feels really terrible when it happens.

I have a similar problem, I haven't been able to find anything that helps except changing my pose. I'm sorry :(
Oh... im sorry you have something similar. Its really terrible. When one need to sleep one gets labored and squeezed from lying down..
Describe a little bit how you experience it if you want and can

ivorin

Oh... im sorry you have something similar. Its really terrible. When one need to sleep one gets labored and squeezed from lying down..
Describe a little bit how you experience it if you want and can
I get pressure and a clutching feeling in my chest and neck. It doesn't happen every day but when it does it's quite scary. The only thing that helps is lying on the side or sitting up. It usually comes and goes throughout the day.

I get pressure and a clutching feeling in my chest and neck. It doesn't happen every day but when it does it's quite scary. The only thing that helps is lying on the side or sitting up. It usually comes and goes throughout the day.
It sounds really tricky:(.
My pressure comes in night. Wake up after 2-4 hours sleep and have to sit up, like body is saying:" hey you cant lie down that long time im being squeezed!" ....crazy. But i can feel it in the day to. If i feel weak i cant sit on hard floor or chair etc, or cant wear tight clothes, it takes the last power out..:ill:
Du you get trouble with heart rhythm also?

ivorin

Yes it very hard.
Maybe i also have pots, a mild case. I recognised the symptoms when i red about it.
You can test it if you can measure your heart rate. If it rises by 30 or more from the lying position to standing up you probably have POTS.

You can test it if you can measure your heart rate. If it rises by 30 or more from the lying position to standing up you probably have POTS.
I always had a low bloodpressure, standing up made me suddenly weak, blurred vision, and then my heartpressure began to rise with my hear start pounding.

humanrising

I feel better laying down because I my neck pain is so bad and my neck is weak so my head feels like a 20 pound bowling ball but the rest of my body can't get comfortable and I have some of what you describe feeling pain and crushed.

I think for myself that I have lost so much muscle mass that I don't have any cushion left. I have fibro so pain is high anyways but I also feel like my rib cage is being crushed just from laying down especially if I try to lay on my side. my body is just fat and bones ( I don't weigh much but again little muscle weight) , hence not much to support and cushion my nerves.
maybe this type of feeling is more common then one would think since its hard for us to stay active and maintain muscle mass.

I feel something similar too and I'm finding that different positions can either add to, or help relieve the pressure/tension.
I find it better to lie down flat without any pillows but I have to raise my head off the bed by resting my jaw on my arm, otherwise my face gets really hot and uncomfortable.
Also when I lie down sitting up, I can also feel heat moving towards my head and burning my face so I need to change the weight/tension distribution by changing my posture again.

I did read on a Pots website once that raising the head of the bed up might help a bit as it allows the blood flow/pressure to move back down, don't know if that's connected. Unfortunately haven't been able to try it on my bed as it's got a split storage thing underneath the mattress so it wouldn't be sturdy enough but hope it helps someone!

overtheedge

Memory Foam has helped me immensely but I have to see a chiropractor now for the spine pain that comes with having a bed that has so little firmness to it and the fact that i've been lying in bed a large portion of the last few years
So i spend most of my days lying back in bed (listening to audiobooks most of the time) and I have this one very soft pillow that helps, keep it under my back from just below my neck to the base of my spine, much softer than memory foam pillows, and have a somewhat balled up sheet under my neck and head, adjusting how balled up based on how high i want my head, this has really helped the spine pain.
Also, cold packs 10x13 inches size, across my back helps back pain, I use two at a time, lie on my front for 15-20 min with the cold pack or packs on my back and a t-shirt on so it doesn't get too cold since direct contact with cold packs isn't advised in such a situation. I also use a TENS unit, an electrical pain relief device, at the same time with the coldpacks on top pressing down on the two pads, or four pads if I'm using two cold packs. Place the pads across my back and usually place the pad on a spot that is sore or painful to do the most pain relief. They help, not perfectly but they certainly do help, I usually use this at some point in the hour before bed.

As far as what mode i set the tens unit to I use the one that puts out a very constant stream of electricity, as steady as possible with as few increases or decreases in power, then I turn it up till it's at a point where it's too much then bring the power back down enough so that it's just below that and is bearable but is strong. That's the way they do it at my chiropractors office and I've adopted it myself.

All the best

I think I experienced something similar last night.

I was really tired but whenever I was about to fall asleep I stopped breathing and woke up from it. It feels like my head is sinking down and like I have a heavy weight on my chest. It is so scary. Can’t sleep at all and even when I’m awake I feel like I am breathing but not enough air fits through my throat to my chest.
Got a Diagnose for CCI and AAI lately so I probably know the cause but have no idea what to do. It’s the scariest symptom I had so far.