• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Low Protein Diet

Has anyone committed to a low protein diet? I strength train and also I'm in menopause. How much will it affect me? I have been eating low protein since I got my DNA results from 23andme over a week ago and I am feeling pretty good. I have followed Paleo and listened to my Naturopath about following a very high protein diet and haven't felt well for years. So I am wondering if I should continue on with this. I am just wondering if anyone else has followed low protein eating.

Thanks,
Nancy

Sherlock

Boswellia for lungs and MC stabllizing
Has anyone committed to a low protein diet? I strength train and also I'm in menopause. How much will it affect me? I have been eating low protein since I got my DNA results from 23andme over a week ago and I am feeling pretty good. I have followed Paleo and listened to my Naturopath about following a very high protein diet and haven't felt well for years. So I am wondering if I should continue on with this. I am just wondering if anyone else has followed low protein eating.

Thanks,
Nancy
You might have an interest in this:
http://mennohenselmans.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/

And yes, if the fad diet feels bad, then drop it.

brenda

Hi Nancy

I have recently adopted a macrobiotic diet, with one or two meat and vegetable meals per week, no eggs no dairy so animal products right down compared to how l was eating. I have had to cut rice down though due to arsenic. I use quinoa instead which has all the essential amino acids and when it is eaten with tempeh made from soya beans is pretty good protein wise as it also has all essential aa's. I have more energy since doing this and other benefits due l assume to my CBS.

Thanks for the link Sherlock. I will check it out when I have a few minutes.

Brenda, I didn't know rice has arsenic in it! I really am not a fan of rice. I do like quinoa and have been eating it lately. As far as soy is concerned, I can't eat it at all. I was looking at macrobiotic diets and there's a lot of soy. That won't work for me. I am really glad you have more energy. Thanks for telling me about the diet. Maybe I can tailor it around my needs! :)

brenda

Hi Nan

The soy is fermented and in small quantities - I would not use tofu - but I am being watchful as I have hashi's. I am having tempeh, and small amounts of miso with a tiny amount of tamari. I have dabbled in macrobiotics a few times and have had very good responses to it but found it hard when travelling but I don't do much of that these days. Macro's are eating a more varied diet these days since it lost popularity due to some cancer deaths but then again smoking was indulged in sometimes and I think that b12 was a problem due to SNP's for some. So there have been exaggerated claims for the diet but at the same time, there have been many remarkable recoveries especially from cancer. I had a job once as macro cook for a young woman with a brain tumour.

I was hugely impressed by the appearance of the macro people I met in the past. Their clear eyes really stood out. I know my immune system loves me eating this way and it gives me a peaceful grounded feeling. It's best to ease into it. I made my main meal macro then gradually worked on the other ones giving up dairy, then sugar, then eggs, then nightshade. I have to buy most things online and going into a supermarket now is a shock as there is so little there that I can eat. But l feel l am improving every day. Good luck!

Brenda, thank you so much for the info. I will check out tempeh since it is fermented. I have hypothyroidism so I kind of know what you are going through with the Hashi's. It's weird because I was following Dr. Jack Kruse for a couple of weeks in January and really increased my protein intake. That is the worst I have felt in years and I didn't even put two and two together until I got my DNA results last week from 23andme. I am going to check out the Macrobiotic diet and see if it works for me. Good luck to you also.

Sherlock

Boswellia for lungs and MC stabllizing