• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Low Lithium Levels

arx

Hi,

My HTMA shows a lithium level of 0.001 and the reference range max is 0.006. Trace elements(the lab)did not comment on it but I have read that low lithium levels can cause fatigue and mental symptoms. Any suggestions?

arx

My B12 levels are now fine, around 1200. Would lithium still help? And what dosage of lithium orotate do you say is good?

helen1

Serum B12 levels don't indicate what gets to your cells. You can have high serum levels and low cellular levels. Urine methylmalonic acid (MMA) levels are a pretty good indicator of cellular use of B12. they're not very stable though so you'd have to have several to get a good indication. MMA is included in any organic acids test.

Lithium orotate helps with B12 transport and most forum members who take it take 5-10 mg (compared to bipolar folks at 300 I think and in a different form as calendonia mentioned).

Lithium does interfere with iodine metabolism though so your thyroid would have to be in good shape or take lithium at a different time of day than iodine and/or thyroid meds.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
What is your cobalt level on your HTMA? B12 (cobalamin) is the body’s primary source of cobalt. While my lithium is now off-the-chart high, my cobalt is still below the calibration limit (undetectable) and I have been taking methylB12.

arx

Cobalt is 0.001, reference range is from 0.001 to 0.003. You think cobalt is important?

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
I think cobalt is important as an indication of B12 metabolism. My dietician has not been concerned about the low cobalt. That may be because she was concerned about my undetectable potassium. That finally came up in my most recent test, but I have not had a chance to discuss the recent results with her yet.