• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

LOW HYPOTHALAMIC T3 INDUCES TORPOR

pattismith

Gene expression analysis and microdialysis suggest hypothalamic triiodothyronine (T3) gates daily torpor in Djungarian hamsters (Phodopus sungorus).
Bank JHH1, Cubuk C1, Wilson D2, Rijntjes E3, Kemmling J1, Markovsky H1, Barrett P2, Herwig A4.

Abstract
Thyroid hormones play an important role in regulating seasonal adaptations of mammals. Several studies suggested that reduced availability of 3,3',5-triiodothyronine (T3) in the hypothalamus is required for the physiological adaptation to winter in Djungarian hamsters. We have previously shown that T3 is involved in the regulation of daily torpor, but it remains unclear, whether T3 affects torpor by central or peripheral mechanisms. To determine the effect of T3 concentrations within the hypothalamus in regulating daily torpor, we tested the hypothesis that low hypothalamic T3 metabolism would favour torpor and high T3 concentrations would not. In experiment 1 gene expression in torpid hamsters was assessed for transporters carrying thyroid hormones between cerebrospinal fluid and hypothalamic cells and for deiodinases enzymes, activating or inactivating T3 within hypothalamic cells. Gene expression analysis suggests reduced T3 in hypothalamic cells during torpor. In experiment 2, hypothalamic T3 concentrations were altered via microdialysis and torpor behaviour was continuously monitored by implanted body temperature transmitters. Increased T3 concentrations in the hypothalamus reduced expression of torpor as well as torpor bout duration and depth. Subsequent analysis of gene expression in the ependymal layer of the third ventricle showed clear up-regulation of T3 inactivating deiodinase 3 but no changes in several other genes related to photoperiodic adaptations in hamsters.
Finally, serum analysis revealed that increased total T3 serum concentrations were not necessary to inhibit torpor expression.
Taken together, our results are consistent with the hypothesis that T3 availability within the hypothalamus significantly contributes to the regulation of daily torpor via a central pathway.

Iritu1021

Breaking Through The Fog
Some of us may hibernate and some go into torpor... I don't really feel sleepy like some people, I feel more "torpor-ish".

You probably already knew about this given that you studied animals, but I am just learning the difference between torpor and hibernation.
http://www.discoverwildlife.com/british-wildlife/how-tell-torpor-hibernation
  • Recent research suggests that mammals are vulnerable to parasites during hibernation and so wake periodically to boost their immune system.
So we now know that both high T1AM and low T3 are known to induce torpor. I wonder what's the chicken, what's the egg here...

pattismith

It was shown in the iodine paper that upregulated ubiquitination of type 2 Deiodinase in the pituitary is leading to local decreased T3 and increased TSH production (which produces hyperthyroidism)

What about the Melatonin action in this pathway?

I found the article below, if Melatonin is an ubiquination inhibitor, it would mean more D2 in pituitary cells, meaning more local T3 and a subsequent decrease in the TSH production;

(This maybe the reason why I don't react well to Melatonin?)

Melatonin and ubiquitin: what’s the connection?

First Online: 12 June 2014

Abstract

Melatonin has been widely studied for its role in photoperiodism in seasonal breeders; it is also a potent antioxidant.

Ubiquitin, a protein also widespread in living cells, contributes to many cellular events, although the most well known is that of tagging proteins for destruction by the proteasome.

Herein, we suggest a model in which melatonin interacts with the ubiquitin–proteasome system to regulate a variety of seemingly unrelated processes.

Ubiquitin, for example, is a major regulator of central activity of thyroid hormone type 2 deiodinase; the subsequent regulation of T3 may be central to the melatonin-induced changes in seasonal reproduction and seasonal changes in metabolism.

Both melatonin and ubiquitin also have important roles in protecting cells from oxidative stress.

We discuss the interaction of melatonin and the ubiquitin–proteasome system in oxidative stress through regulation of the ubiquitin-activating enzyme, E1.
Previous reports have shown that glutathiolation of this enzyme protects proteins from unnecessary degradation.
In addition, evidence is discussed concerning the interaction of ubiquitin and melatonin in activation of the transcription factor NF-κB as well as modulating cellular levels of numerous signal transducing factors including the tumor suppressor, p53.
Some of the actions of melatonin on the regulatory particle of the proteasome appear to be related to its inhibition of the calcium-dependent calmodulin kinase II, an enzyme which reportedly copurifies with proteasomes.

Many of the actions of melatonin on signal transduction are similar to those of a proteasome inhibitor. While these actions of melatonin could be explained by a direct inhibitory action on the catalytic core particle of the proteasome, this has not been experimentally verified. If our hypothesis of melatonin as a general inhibitor of the ubiquitin–proteasome system is confirmed, it is predicted that more examples of this interaction will be demonstrated in a variety of tissues in which ubiquitin and melatonin co-exist. Furthermore, the hypothesis of melatonin as an inhibitor of the ubiquitin–proteasome system will be a very useful model for clinical testing of melatonin.

Iritu1021

Breaking Through The Fog
That's an intriguing connection. I also do not have fond memories of my melatonin experience and I remember reading that it was the case for many patients with ME/CFS.

I checked my salivary melatonin a while back an it was actually borderline high. My symptoms show consistent patterns based on the time of the day. I always assumed it was related to TSH and/or CRH circadian rhythms but it could be related to melatonin as well.

I have now discovered that lithium promotes uibquitination - and the other article I posted in SPINA thread said that D2 effect of lithium was dependent on time of the day so perhaps it works by opposing melatonin.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16228182
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16228182

and just a blurb here:
https://www.researchgate.net/figure...tin-in-the-lumbar-tract-of-G93A_fig1_26677635

Antidepressant drug agomelatine is a melatonin M1agonist/M2 antagonist.