• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

low gamma globulins

lizw118

Hi All
I was recently treated for a sinus infection (staph a.) and the doctor tested my immune antibodies. He told me my gamma globulins were low. My total globulins often come out low on CBC tests, too.
He gave me a pneumonia shot, because apparently that boosts the IgGs specifically (unike the flu vaccine, etc). So I got the vaccine and today (the day after) I feel so much better than I have felt in a long time. I was able to get up early and had a lot of energy. I know this boost will probably not last too long, but I wanted to find out if anyone has tried any other kind of gamma globulin therapy with success. Or is there a supplement I can take that boosts gamma globulin levels? I have tried taking colostrum and it did not agree with me.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
Years ago (1996 or so) IVIG was one of THE treatments for CFS, but I think it has fallen by the wayside since then. I wanted to get it but couldn't afford it.

Have you tried Transfer Factor? It's got the same stuff as Colostrum but concentrated.

lizw118

Thanks for your reply!

I have tried TF before and it gave me the same reaction that colostrum did, which is bad inflammatory response. I am guessing that is because all of the globulins go up with those, not just the gammas? That is just a guess. I don't know why else that is happening

When I got the shot I had the same reaction I get when I get certain acupuncture treatments which I hae read also raise gamma globulins. But I had to get acupuncture three times a week to get that reaction.

I also got a similar reaction with N acetylglucosamine, but it led to a bad pathogenic staph infection in my sinuses (I think bacteria use NAG somehow).

Is there a transfer factor that you recommend specifically for gamma globulin?

I think you can get shots of gamma globulins too, which seems less expensive and easier than IV transfer. But I have no idea if doctors ever do this.

Why did the treatment fall by the wayside?

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I know nothing about gamma globulins, what helps to increase them. I just wanted to tell you they used to use IVIG years ago. (I am self proclaimed clueless about the science because of my ME brain).

If I remember correctly the first Gulf War was going on and all the available gamma globulin was going to the troops. Add to the progression of science and maybe that is why people stopped using it.

I read that the person would feel bad for a week, feel good for about 2 then start to feel like crap again.

I can't tell you what TF to get for that purpose. Sorry

Mink

Ema

I think you should really be evaluated by a good immunologist. If you are meet the criteria for primary immunodeficiency, you may be eligible for IVIG or subcutaneous IG (Hizentra).

I'm on Hizentra for the last 9 months and it does help me. I don't seem to have the side effects associated with once monthly IVIG treatment either since Hizentra is done every week at home.

Here is a good website for information on primary immunodeficiency:

http://primaryimmune.org/

Ema

Sea

I think you should really be evaluated by a good immunologist. If you are meet the criteria for primary immunodeficiency, you may be eligible for IVIG or subcutaneous IG (Hizentra).

I'm on Hizentra for the last 9 months and it does help me. I don't seem to have the side effects associated with once monthly IVIG treatment either since Hizentra is done every week at home.

Here is a good website for information on primary immunodeficiency:

http://primaryimmune.org/

Ema

What criteria did you meet Ema? I have low IgA and just within range low IgG and am interested in my options

Ema

What criteria did you meet Ema? I have low IgA and just within range low IgG and am interested in my options
I have a low (but barely in range total IgG) and subclass 1 and 3 deficiencies. Along with my history of chronic viral and bacterial infections, I was diagnosed with primary immunodeficiency and allowed to start Hizentra.

So far it's brought my total IgG level up to the top of the range and my subclass 1 has increased, but my subclass 3 remains stubbornly below range. Since that is the subclass responsible for fighting viral infections, my doctor thinks that the antibodies are immediately complexed to fight infections. There is some evidence that the subclass will normalize once the infections are treated and I wait patiently for that day.

lizw118

Thanks Ema,
Is there any particular type of Immunologist I should look for? I would love to try that treatment