• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Low Folate & B12 swinging to High Folate Levels

Uno

Hi all

This is a question on behalf of my mum.

She was diagnosed with raised Homocystine and very low folate and B12 when in hospital. The doctor prescribed her folic acid (which I didn't know about) and B12.

I advised her to start off on Source Naturals Methylcobalamin but didn't realise she was taking folic acid. I told her to stop and gave her metafolin to take.

Two months later her folate levels have doubled twice over what they should be but her B12 is still a bit low.

Anyone got any clues?

Thanks in advance

PeterPositive

What do you mean by high folate? What is the latest value from her blood work?
It may depend on the dosage of folic acid (first) and metafolin (later). How much of both did she take per day?

Also, folic acid can remain unmetabolized in the serum and show up as elevated in the blood tests.

Most importantly, did the homocysteine level drop? I am very familiar with the problem because I am MHTFT C677T++ and still struggling with bringing down Hcy levels in the optimal range. For me adding active forms of B2 and B6, alongside folate / B12, have helped improving the situation.

TMG is also a good methyl donor and can be used also as a maintenance supplement for high Hcy.

Helen

Hi all

This is a question on behalf of my mum.

She was diagnosed with raised Homocystine and very low folate and B12 when in hospital. The doctor prescribed her folic acid (which I didn't know about) and B12.

I advised her to start off on Source Naturals Methylcobalamin but didn't realise she was taking folic acid. I told her to stop and gave her metafolin to take.

Two months later her folate levels have doubled twice over what they should be but her B12 is still a bit low.

Anyone got any clues?

Thanks in advance

Hi Uno,

I would follow the doctors order to see what happens. Lab values are not always showing what´s going on so I think she should communicate with her doctor about symptoms and supplements. If the doctor doesn´t care any longer, then it could be an idea to try supplementation by her own.

Maybe she got cyanocobalamin or hydroxycobalamin that aren´t as effective as methylcobalamin? Probably the best had been methylcobalamin injections to get a quick start. If she doesn´t have ME/CFS it is usually not so tricky to treat these deficiencies. What happened to the homocystein value after treatment?

Maybe she get proportionally too much folate to cobalamin and that gives her a high folate level. Just a guess.