• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Low Dose vs High Dose Antivirals

Wonkmonk

I'm on 400 mg Aciclovir 3 X a day plus weekly injections of B12 under directions of Dr Bansal. I am now At about 3 month mark and have dipped down in energy but many of long term symptoms have been vastly reduced.

I am on Valacyclovir at a much higher dose (6,000 mg a day) as recommended by Dr Lerner, now entering the 9th month and I can report the same thing: Fatigue and energy have not improved much, but other symptoms have improved a lot, especially all joint and muscle pain has disappeared almost entirely. I am hoping that with further treatment maybe the energy level is going to improve, too.

It may very well be the right protocol for you, but I think 400mg oral Aciclovir 3x a day is a very low dose, also because Aciclovir has a much lower bioavailability than Valacyclovir. If it helps, going a bit higher might be worth considering.

Dr Lerner recommends 4,000-6,000mg Valacyclovir a day.

I did try 400 mg 4 X a day but that just sent me dizzy so I scurried back to the lower safe level, since the lower dose helped with so many other symptoms.

I'm the eternal optimist in that maybe with a little outside help ( ie anti-virals) my body can do it's stuff? Who knows but I'm willing to give it a try.

Best of luck to you.

Wonkmonk

That's probably the right approach, every body is different and I think it's important to adjust treatment to what your body can handle.

Learner1

My doctors both put me on high dose valacyclovir before switching me to valganciclovir. I'd been on acyclovir previously, which just let the EBV run rampart.

My docs think Lerner's dosing is a bit high. They wanted me on 3g valacyclovir and now 1.8g valganciclovir. They monitor kidney and liver function every 3 weeks.

Wonkmonk

Learner1

I take 500 MG of Valacylovir (sp?) every morning. When I tried to increase the dosage, it gave me sleep problems.
Well, certainly.

But there are things you can do for sleep. It's more important to get the virus under control, so you may have to compensate. LDN, magnesium, melatonin, taurine, theanine, GABA, phospatidyl serine, and a few other things come to mind.

Learner1

Wonkmonk

Yes, he is deceased in 2015. Your doc probably has a good reason for putting you on your dose. Dr Lerner's protocol seens to work very well for me, but it doesn't mean it is optimal for everyone. Lower or higher doses might be needed depending on the patient.