• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Low dopamine and eprinephrine levels?

Hi All, I have been getting most of my Mayo blood work back this week and pretty much everything is normal-- aside from a slightly elevated CRP and a rather low dopamine and a very low epinephrine. Does anyone know if these low levels are related to ME/CFS?

Thanks, Holly

NotThisGuy

Yes, I figured that low dopamine and norepinephrine are one of my main issues. Not epinephrine though (Or whatever causes those low levels, For me its Lyme and heavy metals and probably a few other infections).

Have a close look on the tyrosine pathway.
Tyrosine needs Vitamin D, B1 and BH4 (among others) to convert to dopamine.
Dopamine needs Vit C and copper to convert to norepinephrine.
Norepinephrine needs cortisol and SAMe to convert to epinephrine.

Increasing dopamine and norepinephrine doesn't heal me, but it makes the difference between beeing on activity level 1 or activity level 5.

helios

Hi All, I have been getting most of my Mayo blood work back this week and pretty much everything is normal-- aside from a slightly elevated CRP and a rather low dopamine and a very low epinephrine. Does anyone know if these low levels are related to ME/CFS?

Are they going to do anything about your dopamine?
My guess is no if its just 'low'.
what test did they do to measure it? I am guessing saliva as there is no blood test for it, well not where I live. I'm convinced I have low dopamine, but doctors don't give any credence to saliva tests so there is no test so they can just dismiss any patient's theories/research and push an ssri (with zero evidence its a serotonin issue :: sigh:: I actually managed recently to convince my doc to try me with low dose amisulpride. it has not been a revelation for my health, in terms of reducing brain fog and increasing motivation & desire, but it has given me really good dreams and boosted libido (in the morning only) and given me a slighter sense of calmness & well being & less depression.

bertiedog

Yes, I figured that low dopamine and norepinephrine are one of my main issues. Not epinephrine though (Or whatever causes those low levels, For me its Lyme and heavy metals and probably a few other infections).

Have a close look on the tyrosine pathway.
Tyrosine needs Vitamin D, B1 and BH4 (among others) to convert to dopamine.
Dopamine needs Vit C and copper to convert to norepinephrine.
Norepinephrine needs cortisol and SAMe to convert to epinephrine.

Increasing dopamine and norepinephrine doesn't heal me, but it makes the difference between beeing on activity level 1 or activity level 5.
You also need fully functioning enzymes but due to genetics you could have issues that are depleting these neurotransmitters. Environmental factors could add stop the be problem too and would need to be addressed.

Pam

bertiedog

Just a thought, did you ever have an organic acid test done through a company like Genova because that will show the metabolites from the various neurotransmitters and might indicate where there are issues for you.

Pam

NotThisGuy

Just a thought, did you ever have an organic acid test done through a company like Genova because that will show the metabolites from the various neurotransmitters and might indicate where there are issues for you.

Pam
no I haven't done this test.
I have to drink a lot of water and got polyuria. Also I have MCAS and can only tolerate 3 foods.
Genova says both of this factors will influence the organic acid test. I fear the results might be worthless and money is wasted.

stefanosstef

Has anyone tried pramipexole for dopamine?I view neurotransmitters' issues as the last reaction and a result of a bigger problem and I don't like the idea of messing with them (it's like messing with the thermostat while your house is on fire) but I need a fix because I am running out of options and money.Peptides and mitochondrial supplements are expensive tests.
Wellbutrin worked well for me until it stopped.Then I doubled the dosage and the same pattern happened.Before I quit I discovered that if I cycle it 5 days on 2 days off it starts working again but I don't know if that can be sustainable.I've noted it as a last resort medication in case I don't find a solution elsewhere, I don't like it for the reasons I mentioned above plus it's an anticholinergic that is meant to be taken long term.