• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

low calcium ion but normal serum calcium [causes] ? & hyperexcitability

Hello :)
I hope someone could give enlightment as some people here are more expert.
What would be the cause of low ion calcium but normal total and serum calcium?
My doctor said my serum calcium would be normal and yes its always normal but ion is low because theres a problem. and its correlated to hyperexcitability.
He didnt explain more and said
Therefore i should supplement with extra calcium. Even though calcium in blood is normal but only little that can be taking up by cell/ready to use.

What i know is the ion is the active form. Also on google i read it correlated with PTH.
My thyroid blood test came up normal though.

This is still a puzzle to me as why/what makes.
Is it same as the vit d active form d25 and d 1,25. It cant be converted?
My d 25 is low instead.
Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
It can go with anything from magnesium deficiency to parathyroid condition to several other things. Your doc should refer you to endocrinology or some other specialty, or do other testing, or both.

Best wishes.

Edit:
vitamin D deficinecy could be related.
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003569.htm

D 1,25 dihydroxy is used for other things, although rarely some people may not convert from D 25 hydroxy to D 1,25 dihydroxy

Last edited:

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit
Hi @kisekishiawase

I agree with Willow and Adreno about supplementing these vitamins in order to fix the calcium problem.
Here is a link to some information from Linus Pauling institute:

http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/minerals/magnesium/

A quote from the text:

Ion transport across cell membranes

Magnesium is required for the active transport of ions like potassium and calciumacross cell membranes. Through its role in ion transport systems, magnesium affects the conduction of nerve impulses, muscle contraction, and normal heart rhythm (3).

Cell signaling

Cell signaling requires MgATP for the phosphorylation of proteins and the formation of the cell-signaling molecule, cyclic adenosine monophosphate (cAMP). cAMP is involved in many processes, including the secretion of parathyroid hormone (PTH) from the parathyroid glands (see Vitamin D and Calcium for additional discussions regarding the role of PTH) (3).

I've read also that supplementing magnesium is difficult because it is not absorbed well through supplement.
If you decide to supplement don't use the oxide form.
Here's one website's description of some forms of magnesium:

http://www.globalhealingcenter.com/natural-health/types-of-magnesium/

You might want to try different forms of absorption like magnesium salt foot baths or a transdermal cream.
You can get too much magnesium so you should start with a smaller amount and work up. Take your time in getting to an effective dose rather than overdoing is best.

good luck with finding a solution that works.
How have you been feeling lately?

SD

@adreno @WillowJ @Snowdrop thank you all for posting. :)

@adreno its the vitamin k2 right? Not the K for clotting. Because i have hypercoagulation. I did read about vit k2 and calcium connection. Interesting. And noted. Vit k2 only available in a few food. Natto, egg fish. But isnt k2 needed to deliver calcium to the bones? :confused:

@WillowJ last time i check the pth blood test came back normal. Although i dont know if theres something missing.
Magnesium calcium vit d are interconnected pitty the doctor didnt address magnesium issue. Though i was thinking there is other cause. If its due to magnesium isnt the blood calcium serum, total will also low? :confused:

@Snowdrop the link was really helpful i have magnesium oxide and glycine but i got gas when taking it. Theres also a negative thing about biofilm feeding on magnesium. But theres no helping it when we have to take magnesium too i guess?
Pity i cant test intercellular magnesium level.

@adreno i just look back what ive read about vit k2 and calcium connection. k2 needed to transport calcium from blood to bones thats why its also link to calcification and heart attack. But seems like its different than the constant normal serum, total blood, low ion calcium and whats use for cell signalling? Which can he said causes the hyperexcitability.

adreno

PR activist
@adreno i just look back what ive read about vit k2 and calcium connection. k2 needed to transport calcium from blood to bones thats why its also link to calcification and heart attack. But seems like its different than the constant normal serum, total blood, low ion calcium and whats use for cell signalling? Which can he said causes the hyperexcitability.
I'm not sure what you mean. All I know is that vitamin D gets calcium into serum (prevents excretion) and vitamin K2 plus magnesium gets the calcium into cells where it's needed.