• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

low appetite

taniaaust1

I swing between no appetite and then I really struggle to make myself eat and all my foods need to be very tempting or I just do not eat.. to feeling like I'm starving. This whole thing is annoying

I know the exact feeling and live it.

I understand that, as that's how I am too... Beyond Annoying. I can't tell if I have a stomach ache or if I'm hungry instead. (yes, feels like starving) instead. so to be on the safe side, at that time I force myself to eat something... even if it isn't something I like. yuk

jesse's mom

I also have cravings, like I want asparagus this week. Another week it was eggs and more eggs.
The strangest one was split pea soup. Mango for a while, I really don't like mango.

Archie

Some say magnesium and zinc deficiency can cause lost of appetite, and infections also. At least zinc is related to smell/taste .

Wolfcub

Does anyone have loss of appetite?
Sometimes there is loss of appetite and
the cause is not known.
Yes I get it from time to time. But it is weird, because sometimes all day I have no appetite (I eat anyway because I know I need the food. I am dreadfully skinny) Then on those days suddenly my appetite returns later in the evening! A good healthy "I can now eat" feeling.

At first when I got sick, I had weird appetite swings and cravings. From feeling horribly nauseous, five minutes later I would crave sardines and lashings of butter on toast. I craved eggs too at that time. Then I would eat those foods and the odd thing is they didn't start up the nausea again!
When I started taking a higher dose vitamin D3 than I had done before, the cravings for those foods stopped, but that didn't take away my liking for them.
Certain foods I like suddenly I didn't fancy. Apples were one of them, and nuts, and onions. But now I am fine with them.

My appetite was worse at regular mealtimes and better at night.

That steadied out quite a lot and I am fairly normal now in that respect but do sometimes get glitches when I crash.