• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Losing all air when passing out

Seven7

Seven
Hello,

I have a new symptom which is very bizarre, when I pass out as I feel going down, my whole lung air goes out, as I go down could be on a loud ahhhhh as I feel my lungs exhale, is a bizarre thing, the best I can explain it is as if I have a balloon inside and when I pass out it is when you let the air out of a balloon as I fall.

My syncope is getting worst in the sense that I loose sense of the outside world but I get very aware of the internal world, so I can here the pumping of blood, like we are extremely noisy been insides and it is as If I can hear it all. And I will try to document the feelings but it is SOOO bad that I beg for loss of consciousness so I don't have to feel it, this last one was so bad, that I cried as I came to, and just felt like crying for a little bit, I thought wow I never want to hear or feel that again, and I felt my heart was going to give out. like Angina but like softer and like longer.

I got a TTT so I know I am not one of those people that heart stops., but I am wondering if that changes on POTs and is possible later on. Damn I don't even dare to stand tonight not to feel that again.

My CFS is so much better, I wish My POTs do so too.

Gingergrrl

@lnester7 Is there any chance that your POTS could be autoimmune? I am not sure what kinds of tests you had at Cleveland Clinic but a lot of new research is showing that there is a subgroup of people with Autoimmune POTS (which is what I have). I am wondering if IVIG could be of any help for you? Do you have a doctor who is monitoring your care?

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
It sounds like you're getting the wind knocked out of you. Is it happening as your body impacts something with the fall?

When I was a child, I used to get the wind knocked out of me a lot and that's the sensation that I had. It's a very scary feeling--like all the air is complete forced out of your lungs and for a moment or more you can't take a breath in to replenish it. It feels like you are suffocating.

@lnester7, I'm so sorry you're going through this. Saying a prayer for you.

taniaaust1

Hello,

I have a new symptom which is very bizarre, when I pass out as I feel going down, my whole lung air goes out, as I go down could be on a loud ahhhhh as I feel my lungs exhale, is a bizarre thing, the best I can explain it is as if I have a balloon inside and when I pass out it is when you let the air out of a balloon as I fall.

My syncope is getting worst in the sense that I loose sense of the outside world but I get very aware of the internal world, so I can here the pumping of blood, like we are extremely noisy been insides and it is as If I can hear it all. And I will try to document the feelings but it is SOOO bad that I beg for loss of consciousness so I don't have to feel it, this last one was so bad, that I cried as I came to, and just felt like crying for a little bit, I thought wow I never want to hear or feel that again, and I felt my heart was going to give out. like Angina but like softer and like longer.

I got a TTT so I know I am not one of those people that heart stops., but I am wondering if that changes on POTs and is possible later on. Damn I don't even dare to stand tonight not to feel that again.

My CFS is so much better, I wish My POTs do so too.

Hi Inester. I used to get something similar to what you are describing here with my ME. To me it was like some times the passout was connected to some kind of seizure. When this would happen a noise would come out of me as the air was like pushed out of me with force (not like a sigh but with quick force).

With those "seizures" (from POTS), most of the time I used to pass right out but 2-3 times I didnt and though I was mostly passed out I still had a very vague sense of awareness where I was competely cut off from the world and most of my body.

There was one time I knew I had a seizure as when I collapsed and the passout occurred but with a vague sense of awareness (not enough to analyse anything at the time but I had a little body awareness as if the body belonged to someone else). On that occassion the only part of body I was aware of was my arm, wildly uncontrollably flapping about (as if I was in a big seizure, I have no idea what the rest of my body was doing, only awareness I had was the arm).

I hate passouts too and get scared if I know Im about to pass out as I dread those sensations I get as I pass out. I literally panic if I know Im about to pass out due to this. This also causes me much stress if I know someone expects me to remain upright longer then what my body is okay with.

Last edited:

Seven7

Seven
Is there any chance that your POTS could be autoimmune?
well I have colitis which could be autoimmune so who knows. I will have to ask the doctor, they gave me ivabridine to try and I have not been able due to the gastritis, So I started that today, I have been on full OI meds, I had to stop because it was getting my bones out of socket, I think the dose needed to be lower) so Now I am having better day. I am concerned about the amounts of pills I am taking for all the different ailments by now, It is an insane amount of pills. So will keep you posted but so far today much better. I never want to live that type of pass out again so will keep on the pills for now.