• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Looking for a thread that included a paper on doxy and its anti-viral effects

sianrecovery

Can anyone help? I remember someone posting a response to me on the subject of doxy that included an abstract of a paper referencing its anti-viral effects - but can't find it now.
thanks

Sian

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Agree with spitfire it works on bacterial infections not viral infections.
It may help with viruses in that it has anti inflammatory effects on certain infection cytokines. Other tetracyclines also have this effect as well as azithromycin. Googling doxy and inflammation will give u a few hits, its also used for inflammation in R arthritis with some positive results.

Misfit Toy

I used dioxychlor for a virus. Not like Valtrex, or Valcyte but it works super slowly. SUPER SLOWLY. I will stick to Valtrex!

sianrecovery

Someone posted the abstract of a paper a while back that looked at its anti-viral as well as antibiotic effects. I'm just trying to find it again xxx

sianrecovery

Methods Find Exp Clin Pharmacol. 1998 Oct;20(8):643-7.

Antimurine retroviral effect of doxycycline.

Sturtz FG.

Source

Hôpital Boucicaut, Oncology Department, Paris, France. fsturtz@club-internet.fr

Abstract

The tetracycline family is composed of several molecules whose antibacterial properties are due to the fixation on the bacterial ribosomes. Among those, doxycycline is one of the most potent antibiotics for which additional features have been recently discovered. Doxycycline has been found to inhibit metalloproteinases, to decrease gelatinolytic and metastatic activities of cancer cells, to have a "chondroprotective" effect in inflammatory arthritides, and to have strong antimalarial properties. In this study, a murine retrovirus producing cell line (psi CRIP-pXT1) was incubated in variable concentrations of doxycycline. The retroviral titer of this cell line was measured by the ability to transfer resistance to G418 to NIH/3T3 cells. The retroviral titer was significantly decreased by 70% when the packaging cells had been incubated with 25 microM of doxycycline at 37 degrees C. The ID50 was around 8 micrograms/ml. Astonishingly, this effect was not observed at 32 degrees C. The mechanism of this effect is still to be determined. It may be useful to be aware of this effect for uncovering all of the possible antiviral qualities of doxycycline and its related molecules, such as glycylcyclines or anthracyclines.