• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Looking for a good multivitamin (with active folate & b12 forms & no folic acid or iron)

I'm looking for recommendations for a multi which has no iron, and ideally minimal binders, etc.

Ideally, no yeast or yeast products, and no or low vitamin 'E' (due to fact that this raises blood pressure in patients like myself).

I'm also looking for a good multi mineral product with minimal binders, etc.

Please post any recommendations based on products you are familiar with.

Thank you!

anna8

Hi, I'm also new to taking supplements etc.. counld I ask what do you mean by health provider?
How would one purchase from these sites?
Has anyone purchased from just vitamins! And what do you think?
I,ve been taking wild blue green algea, which someone recommended to me as a multi vitamin!
The make I've been taking is Klamath..

*GG*

Is Pure Encapsulations OTC, or must buy through a health provider? What do you like most about each of these brands?

I think Pure encapsulations are carried by some health food stores, they might not keep them out in the open though. Call them and ask if they are available for purchase. A health care provider could be a Chiro and perhaps other types? I know my Chiro carries supplements, also has Pure products.

GG

PS If you have a support group in your area, you might want to find out if some health care providers attend or are somehow afffiliated. A group that I go to was once run by a Chiro, and I know buy some supplements from him, at his cost! So that's a 50% savings. FYI So I try to buy a years supply, so as not to be a bother.

http://www.pureencapsulations.com/Default.asp

Ripley

I'm new here, and have a question about this very topic. I am CBS C699T (+,+) and MTHFR C677T (+,+). Despite my high-sulfur and high-methionine diet, I have no obvious symptoms and feel perfectly fine, but I am having blood work done next week to see if I have hidden homocysteine/ammonia/sulfur issues.

The only reason I discovered my mutations is after having an over-methylation indicent yesterday from being trying out 800mcg of L-5-methylfolate and 1,000 mcg of methylcobalamin for 5 days in a row (it was not fun). It seemed like it would be perfectly safe, but then I found Dr. Ben and checked my 23andme.com results and sure enough, I have related mutations.

I was getting a lot of my vitamins the old fashioned way — from 3 daily pastured eggs and meats/offal — but I supposed they are too high in sulfur. If my MTHFR/CBS mutation is a problem in further urine/blood testing (again, I have no noticeable symptoms) it may require me to stop eating so many eggs/sulfur — which means that I will need a multi-vitamin as a plant-based diet is not nutrient-dense enough to provide the necessary nutrients. :(

In any case, choline is of great importance to preventing fatty liver and I find it suprising that Pure Encapsulations's Nutrient 950 multivitamin doesn't have any choline in it.

So, as a newbie to all this, the thing I'm wondering is... do the mutations make us (or some of us) more prone to overmethlation from L-5-methylfolate and methylcobalamin? And if so, which multi-vitamin is appropriate?? Should I be taking any L-5-methylfolate and methylcobalamin if I have a CBS C699T mutation? I'm so confused now. Thanks for your help.

triffid113

Day of the Square Peg
I have the same homozygous CBS mutation (two of them actually) and have no sulfur issues. I believe those with SUOX mutations are the ones with the most sulfur issues. I am not sure why the MTHFR defect would cause a sulfur issue but I don't have that one (I have the 1298 one) so I don't know. I do eat low protein but I eat an egg every day, broccoli and garlic and milk thistle supplements daily, all of which contain sulfur. I have eaten 80grams of protein and tested serum ammonia and shown no issues. Both I and my father (whom I believe has the same genes) cannot tolerate an ATKINS diet. My father said it :made him ill" but specifically for me, I can tell you it caused frequent low blood sugar (which I guess I now can say is due to causing me adrenal issues) such that I could not walk 50 feet from one building to the next at work without getting shakey and sweaty and gasping from low blood sugar. I also have found I cannot tolerate more than 10 minutes (10 uncomfortable minutes) in an epsom salts bath. So yes there is a sulfur affect, but only upon WAAAAAY too much sulfur. That's me. I have 18 genetic defects out of 30 and there may be some synergies which are unknown making you quite different from me.

Oh yes, I take Solgar Metafolin every day. I took mB12 2x/day for over a year - no problem. I discontinued because my homocysteine was almost the same with as w/o the mB12. I DO have to take the mfolate and 2g TMG, 50mg P5P (for the CBS) and Thorne Basic B (B Complex with metafolin and folinic acid (I need due to DPHR defect). I also take a Thorne multiple which has the Basic B in it.

Hi,

Have you heard about Garden of life, they have unique multivitamins or minerals.
I am really fond of this company, they are the only one who found a way to make some of their products actually Raw and not processed (they heat it in certain way to lose the affects).

I did a full review about them you can read at http://gardenoflife.reviews-online.co/ to understand about the company better. I know I'm new here, but I really recommend their products,

invisiblejungle

Hi,

Have you heard about Garden of life, they have unique multivitamins or minerals.
I am really fond of this company, they are the only one who found a way to make some of their products actually Raw and not processed (they heat it in certain way to lose the affects).

I did a full review about them you can read at http://gardenoflife.reviews-online.co/ to understand about the company better. I know I'm new here, but I really recommend their products,

I'm not a big fan of Garden of Life. I think they're overpriced and rely too much on hype and marketing.

Their vitamins are the same types of vitamins sold by New Chapter and Megafood. They take regular vitamins and feed them to yeast. Then they dry the yeast and put them into capsules. All this business about "RAW" vitamins is ridiculous.