• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Looking for a good doctor in Brisbane

end

So how do we get away from this radiation sufficiently?

Also anyone else seen Greg Emerson?

Page 1

"Postings on EMR above are too lengthy and off topic.

Re Emerson. I have had dealings with him. He is very business-like, but sympathetic to the symptoms presented by cfs patients. He is also focussed. He will do very specific testing, including the right Vit D, etc.

However, in my case, and I assume in others, he referred me to get a series of tests and then, based on those results and some short of cheat sheet, he determined the causes of my illness. In my case he deduced there was persistent mycoplasma infection requiring specialized antibiotics, and mercury toxicity. Mercury toxicity is not directly tested, so there is no guarantee that is the problem.

His consultations and treatments were very expensive, consisting in the main, supplements which he himself sold. I found this a little unsettling, particularly as I could get most of them online at a fraction of the price. I simply could not afford to continue on that cost basis. His argument was that he could guarantee the quality and supply. Furthermore, I had too many questions regarding how he arrived at his diagnosis and at the effectiveness of his treatments, considering I had no improvement after several months.

I currently see Deed, and as boost said, I am underwhelmed with the guidance he is offering. However he is very sympathetic to patients is extremely supportive of any regime you would like to try. I can understand his stance somewhat, given the uncertainty of both testing and treatment outcomes in patients. One particular positive I have with Deed is that he allows consults over the phone at a cost of $40 roughly, with none of this reclaimable from Medicare. This is comparable to the costs of a personal consult, but without the expense and time of travelling.
"There is a crack in everything," writes poet-songwriter Leonard Cohen. "That's how the light gets in." "

RustyJ

Contaminated Cell Line 'RustyJ'
Page 1

"Postings on EMR above are too lengthy and off topic.

Re Emerson. I have had dealings with him. He is very business-like, but sympathetic to the symptoms presented by cfs patients. He is also focussed. He will do very specific testing, including the right Vit D, etc.

However, in my case, and I assume in others, he referred me to get a series of tests and then, based on those results and some short of cheat sheet, he determined the causes of my illness. In my case he deduced there was persistent mycoplasma infection requiring specialized antibiotics, and mercury toxicity. Mercury toxicity is not directly tested, so there is no guarantee that is the problem.

His consultations and treatments were very expensive, consisting in the main, supplements which he himself sold. I found this a little unsettling, particularly as I could get most of them online at a fraction of the price. I simply could not afford to continue on that cost basis. His argument was that he could guarantee the quality and supply. Furthermore, I had too many questions regarding how he arrived at his diagnosis and at the effectiveness of his treatments, considering I had no improvement after several months.

I currently see Deed, and as boost said, I am underwhelmed with the guidance he is offering. However he is very sympathetic to patients is extremely supportive of any regime you would like to try. I can understand his stance somewhat, given the uncertainty of both testing and treatment outcomes in patients. One particular positive I have with Deed is that he allows consults over the phone at a cost of $40 roughly, with none of this reclaimable from Medicare. This is comparable to the costs of a personal consult, but without the expense and time of travelling.
"There is a crack in everything," writes poet-songwriter Leonard Cohen. "That's how the light gets in." "

That was me. ;) It reads like I was unconvinced by Emerson, which I guess still holds. However, his strength is that he has a definite strategy and will attack with it wholeheartedly and this can be a good thing in the absence of a clear cause of me/cfs. He was particularly up on mycoplasmas and a mercury link.

Not sure if you have the flexibility to run your own suggestions past him. In that case go see Deed.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
The problem with cfs treatment is that many doctors have their hands tied by the health system, even with testing they are limited and if they test too much they can be put under pressure by the health system.

Also these doctors are almost seen as quacks, but these guys are at least trying to help us, not like many other doctors who brush us off as crazy or unable to be helped. Doctors aren't allowed to think for themselves but have to follow many tight protocols and guide lines.

find a good treatment and we also have to pay off label a lot of the time. Eg famvir costs me $90 but if I had genital herpes it would cost $30.

Many treatments have a very tight criteria to meet before they are covered.

I would like to know if the cfs clinic at Griffith uni are offering any good treatments that a gp can't prescribe?

Art Vandelay

A friend in Brisbane has come down with an illness that is baffling her regular GP. Her GP at least did some tests for Ross River and reactivation of EBV (both negative) but is stumped.

Her worst symptom is vertigo (to the point that she can't drive) but also sore throat, insomnia, palpitations and anxiety. She has been sick for around 6 weeks with no improvement. It sounds like a post-viral type condition to me although I'm reluctant to suggest this possibility to her given that I'm not a doctor.

Does anyone in Brisbane have any ideas for a doctor who will take her seriously and do some extensive testing? The only doc there that I know of is Gary Deed. Would he be suitable? What is his waiting list like?

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
A friend in Brisbane has come down with an illness that is baffling her regular GP. Her GP at least did some tests for Ross River and reactivation of EBV (both negative) but is stumped.

Her worst symptom is vertigo (to the point that she can't drive) but also sore throat, insomnia, palpitations and anxiety. She has been sick for around 6 weeks with no improvement. It sounds like a post-viral type condition to me although I'm reluctant to suggest this possibility to her given that I'm not a doctor.

Does anyone in Brisbane have any ideas for a doctor who will take her seriously and do some extensive testing? The only doc there that I know of is Gary Deed. Would he be suitable? What is his waiting list like?

Gary deed would be very understanding and has an idea on testing etc theres no magical cures but he is uptodate on the latest in cfs/me research. He wont put forward out of the box treatments unless you ask him and pick his brain, but he is a really nice guy and no GOD complex with him like some doctors.
Waiting times can be a few weeks and no bulk billing, i think the first consult price would be over $100 with about $35 back on medicare, ongoing appointments are $85 or $75 if on a pension with $35 back on medicare.

this link might help with types of testing https://sites.google.com/site/cfstestingandtreatmentroadmap/

If it is viral than there are some antivirals that can help especially if you get it early and not wait years. He will also run immune tests on you too. Alot of testing isnt bulk billed as medicare are cracking down on doctors testing too much, doesnt make alot of sense but??? But just ask if tests can be bulk billed and he can explain which ones can and cant as they arent cheap.

good luck.

Art Vandelay

Gary deed would be very understanding and has an idea on testing etc theres no magical cures but he is uptodate on the latest in cfs/me research. He wont put forward out of the box treatments unless you ask him and pick his brain, but he is a really nice guy and no GOD complex with him like some doctors.
Waiting times can be a few weeks and no bulk billing, i think the first consult price would be over $100 with about $35 back on medicare, ongoing appointments are $85 or $75 if on a pension with $35 back on medicare.

this link might help with types of testing https://sites.google.com/site/cfstestingandtreatmentroadmap/

If it is viral than there are some antivirals that can help especially if you get it early and not wait years. He will also run immune tests on you too. Alot of testing isnt bulk billed as medicare are cracking down on doctors testing too much, doesnt make alot of sense but??? But just ask if tests can be bulk billed and he can explain which ones can and cant as they arent cheap.

good luck.

Awesome, thanks very much for the information!

Hi all - sorry to dig up this old thread but I'm trying to find a doctor in Brisbane that can look at me from a holistic point of view and curious if any new recommendations have popped up?

My GP said I tick all the boxes to be diagnosed with CFS but doesn't want to diagnose me with that. All I know is I've been dogged with something for close to 12 months now after I got Influenza A during Easter 2015.

I just want to get better as I'm having tremendous difficulty keeping a job down due to illness.

Edit : Booked in to Dr Ryan at Aspley. Any reviews on how he is?

Thanks

Last edited:

GcMAF Australia

Hi all - sorry to dig up this old thread but I'm trying to find a doctor in Brisbane that can look at me from a holistic point of view and curious if any new recommendations have popped up?

My GP said I tick all the boxes to be diagnosed with CFS but doesn't want to diagnose me with that. All I know is I've been dogged with something for close to 12 months now after I got Influenza A during Easter 2015.

I just want to get better as I'm having tremendous difficulty keeping a job down due to illness.

Edit : Booked in to Dr Ryan at Aspley. Any reviews on how he is?

Thanks
Possibly http://www.barebonesmedicineco.com.au/
OR
https://tagc.com.au/ maybe able to help
Best of luck