Volunteer opportunity: Organizing Phoenix Rising articles
This section contains all the articles that have been published by Phoenix Rising over the years. As you will see if you browse here, some of the articles are outdated--either the research has been superseded or retracted or the article features an event or campaign that is now in...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Long-term daily mHBOT and full recoveries w/ ongoing maintenance

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by Jesse2233, Sep 4, 2017.

1. Jesse2233

Jesse2233 Senior Member

Southern California
    thanks @Learner1

remind me how many dives you've done and how often you do them?

2. Jesse2233

Jesse2233 Senior Member

Southern California
    From a poster on the Lyme thread who no longer suffers from PEM

Sancar, sb4, ErdemX and 1 other person like this.
  3. Jesse2233

Jesse2233 Senior Member

Southern California
    Another nice one

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
    Sancar, helen1, aaron_c and 2 others like this.
  4. Jesse2233

Jesse2233 Senior Member

Southern California
    And one more...

5. Learner1

Learner1 Forum Support Assistant

Pacific Northwest
    I've probably done 90-100 and I go 2-3 times a week for 60-80 minutes.

The stories you posted track with what I've heard elsewhere. Its helpful especially if there's an infectious agent that the oxygen can go after, an injury, or other condition causing hypoxia.

Sancar, MEMum, aaron_c and 1 other person like this.
  6. Jesse2233

Jesse2233 Senior Member

Southern California
    hey @Cort

now that you're back I wanted to ask if you'd heard of any patients seeing benefit from long term mHBOT.

I know you correspond with many people so I thought you might know

7. gettinbetter

gettinbetter Senior Member

San Francisco Bay Area
    This is certainly exciting news

Anyone in the San Francisco Bay Area?

You are in the Pacific Northwest where?

Jesse2233 likes this.
  8. Cort

Cort Phoenix Rising Founder

Hi Jesse

I did a blog on HBOT. One small study showed that it could have excellent benefits for fibromyalgia so we have to be aware of that. It emanated from Israel I believe.

I did a blog on it but according the rules of PR Forums I can't post a link to it. If you search Google for HBOT and Fibromyalgia it will come up as New Age Fluff or something or other. I'm sure that some people offered their comments :)

Good luck!

9. Jesse2233

Jesse2233 Senior Member

Southern California
    thanks @Cort I'll check out

love all the blogs and interviews that you do, really looking forward to the Naviaux one

Nickster likes this.
  10. Jesse2233

Jesse2233 Senior Member

Southern California
    The more I research the more it seems HBOT is a promising modality for ME/CFS

HBOT...
    • Improves mitochondrial function (1) (2)
    • Increases blood flow to the brain and other organs (3) (4)
    • Awakens sleeping neurons and helps heal neurological damage (5) (6)
    • Has anti-viral and anti-bacterial affects (7) (8)
    • Reduces the effects of autoimmunity (9) (10)

• And of course there are these studies on the use of HBOT for fibromyalgia, CFS/ME, and Lyme (11) (12) (13) (14)
    I'd be interested to read the thoughts of @Woolie on the brain HBOT stuides, and @Jonathan Edwards on the immunological ones

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
    Sancar, Aroa, sb4 and 5 others like this.
  11. Hanna

Hanna Senior Member

Jerusalem, Israel
    I am going to ask certainly a silly question here : has ozone therapy comparative positive effects on ME/CFS than HBOT ?
    (though HBOT use for fibro study comes from Israel, there is very little chance to get this therapy here).

Sancar, sb4 and Jesse2233 like this.
  12. Learner1

Pacific Northwest
    Seattle

13. Learner1

Pacific Northwest
    It's a good question. It's the quantity and intensity of the introduction of oxygen into the body that differs. While oxidative stress is desirable on infective agents, a competent doctor will be monitoring for excessive oxidative stress and compensating.

Ozone can be introduced simply in an IV bag with saline with a fast flow rate. I haven't felt any ill effects from it.

10 Pass ozone involves pulling the blood out of the body, introducing ozone, and putting it back in the body, in a closed loop system.I know 2 people who have done multiple sessions over a few weeks with great benefit, and say it helped them more than anything else, one for Lyme and the other for Epstein Barr. The 2 machines are from Germany.

There are also other modalities, discussed here, though I've heard anecdotally that hydrogen peroxide IVs are hard on veins, with the other modalities being less so

http://www.oxygenhealingtherapies.com/ozone_oxygen_therapies.html

Here's the literature I could find. There are no perfect studies, but you can get an idea of the benefits::

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21198421

http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/aphmeeting/abstract.asp?MeetingID=778&id=94523

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S180886941630129X

http://www.medsci.org/v08p0048.htm

http://o2exercise.com/hyperbaric-oxygen-therapy-vs-ewot-and-improving-stem-cells/

helen1, Jesse2233 and Hanna like this.
  14. Hanna

Hanna Senior Member

Jerusalem, Israel
    Thanks a lot @Learner1 , I am going to "dive" in the stuff you posted :).
    Anyone tried both and could give some their impression ?

15. Learner1

Pacific Northwest
    You may also find this interesting. I've had it with ozone, and the effect is stronger than just ozone or HBOT, but less than 10 Pass:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4783265/

Hanna likes this.
  16. voner

voner Senior Member

@Hanna,

i've researched Hbot a couple times and it's intriguing to me, but the cost factor is way too expensive for me. here's a couple links about that paper that Cort mentioned. The researchers in Israel use a hard chambered, high-pressure Hbot, while most alternative practitioners here in the United States use soft-sided, lower pressure hBot. I think the home units that are sold are low pressure Hbot.

Here is the paper that Cort mentioned:

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0127012

here is a link to the Hbot center in Isreal that is mentioned.

http://www.assafh.org/sites/en/clinic/hifrbaric/pages/default.aspx

good luck on your explorations. I , for one, would love to hear of your experiences...

I would still love to hear input from @Butydoc.

EsetIsadore, sb4, Hanna and 1 other person like this.
  17. Butydoc

Butydoc President

Hi Voner,

It has been some time since I was a consultant for HBO. We had 7 or eight hard chamber mostly used for wound care where I was the director of the program. At that time, low pressure chambers couldn't deliver they same levels of oxygen content that a chamber that operates at 2ATM using 100 O2 could deliver. No idea how that translate into treatment for ME/CFS.

Gary

sb4, helen1, gettinbetter and 2 others like this.
  18. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

I looked at treatment studies. Paper 11 talks about how double blinding in a HBOT trial is tricky, because patients notice increased air pressure, and pressurized air will substanially increase tissue oxygen levels by itself. The authors decided to do SPECT scans with blinded assessment to add some objectivity to the other subjective outcomes. They say there is good agreement between the SPECT and the questionnaires. I can't interpret SPECT scans so it's a bit difficult to interpret this paper. The authors acknowledge the problem with blinding and provide adequate justification for lack of blinding. This paper is about fibromyalgia though.

In paper 12 there is no blinding and it's all subjective outcomes. There is no control group or attempt to reduce bias (as far as I can tell from the abstract). I can't find this on sci-hub. They do claim clear positive results but it doesn't mean much. It's about ME/CFS.

Paper 13 also lacks blinding and has subjective outcomes plus a reaction time test. After 2 hours of treatment every day for a week, the effects on subjective outcomes were very small and only a few were (barely) statistically significant. There was no statistically significant improvement on a reaction time test. It's about ME/CFS.

Paper 14 doesn't adequately report its results or describe its methodology and comes across as junk quality paper. It's also not on sci-hub. It's about chronic lyme.

I quickly skimmed these papers so my analysis could be flawed. I don't think there is much to get excited about. Maybe paper 11 is reliable but that depends on the SPECT scan reliability (would not put much hope in that either). Paper 13 is pretty much a null result.

I won't lose sleep over me not getting HBOT treatment, that's for sure.

19. Jesse2233

Jesse2233 Senior Member

Southern California
    Thanks for taking a look @A.B. always good to have your thoughtful analysis.

Your concerns on the treatment studies are valid, and given the blinding issues and low funding into both HBOT and ME research, it may be awhile before we have anything more comprehensive. I agree that it was nice to have the SPECT scans included in the fibromyalgia study, and wish the others had them as well.

To me these treatment studies collectively imply "research is promising but not robust." My interest is increased when looking at the broader context of patient reports and the other HBOT studies on its biochemical effects.

It's also worth noting that the studies were short term. The anecdotal stories are much longer term and have even better outcomes.

sb4, MEMum, helen1 and 1 other person like this.
  20. Jesse2233

Jesse2233 Senior Member

Southern California
    From someone in an HBOT Facebook group

EsetIsadore, sb4, cigana and 6 others like this.

See more popular forum discussions.