• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Long-term daily mHBOT and full recoveries w/ ongoing maintenance

Jesse2233

good point @Learner1

oxygen is best thought of as a drug with an optimal dose unique to an individual / condition and used in conjunction with other modalities

continuing to have beneficial effects. Started catching up on work from my business I was forced to abandon at illness onset. Wow there are a lot of emails, some missed opportunities, but it feels damn good to be doing a bit of work again

Learner1

good point @Learner1

oxygen is best thought of as a drug with an optimal dose unique to an individual / condition and used in conjunction with other modalities

continuing to have beneficial effects. Started catching up on work from my business I was forced to abandon at illness onset. Wow there are a lot of emails, some missed opportunities, but it feels damn good to be doing a bit of work again
That's great @Jesse2233 ! Glad its helping!

The key is understanding how each of these modalities work together, like playing a symphony. Every instrument plays its role.

I think of oxygen like water... While water is essential to life, too much can be detrimental. And though we can live on just water for awhile, we need other things to to help us thrive.

pattismith

@Ember ,
sorry to hear about your cataract, it is scary!

I wonder if the oxidative effect on the crystalline lens occurs directly through the cornea, or if it was via the blood (or both ways)?

In the first option, breathing oxigen from a mask would be protective....

good point @Learner1

nice to read you had a good day!

Ember

I wonder if the oxidative effect on the crystalline lens occurs directly through the cornea, or if it was via the blood (or both ways)?

In the first option, breathing oxigen from a mask would be protective....
Apparently the effect is through the blood. I entertained the same theory that you’re putting forward, so I meditated through the dives while other patients watched movies. The doctors tried (to no avail) to talk me out of my strange notion that keeping my eyes shut would help. And in the end, I proved them right.

pattismith

Apparently the effect is through the blood. I entertained the same theory that you’re putting forward, so I meditated through the dives while other patients watched movies. The doctors tried (to no avail) to talk me out of my strange notion that keeping my eyes shut would help. And in the end, I proved them right.

Glad to be aware of that, thank you Ember.

I did a first cession 25 mn with my mask (not a good stuff, so don't think I reach the 100% O2).

is it normal to feel dizzy and nauseous at the end of the cession?:zippit:

Jesse2233

This is an interesting and comprehensive read on mHBOT and CIRS
The bottom line is mild Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy (mHBOT) is a nice adjunct therapy for those that have started to heal from Chronic Inflammatory Response Syndrome (CIRS). Just like it helps brain injuries heal, I’m convinced it helps mold damaged brains too along with many other benefits

http://biotoxinjourney.com/the-case-for-mild-hbot/

pattismith

@pattismith if you're feeling weird after a session you may try doing less time initially until your body adjusts
:thumbsup:
I was totally knocked out, it took me 3-4 hours to recover from this short cession.:wide-eyed:
I also had very dry nose and lungs from it, so I will do the next one with a humidifier.
Tonight I feel much better than before the cession, but today I restarted grapefruit juice to enhance my ubiquinol absorption, so this may be the cause of my evening improvement.

JES

My oxygen concentrator machine arrived yesterday, but there is an issue: although in the specs it says my machine can deliver 90% oxygen, and can deliver 5 liters per minute, it turns out that it cannot do both at the same time.

Good findings though it's disappointing to hear the device doesn't work as the advertising would have indicated. I ordered the same device a couple of weeks ago as it was on sale, still waiting for it to arrive. I didn't find anything that was better that didn't cost substantially more, so may as well have a go with this one.

I spent a bit time looking for ways to improve oxygen delivery. This video mentions one way, by adding a small gadget, Oxymizer, with a reservoir to store oxygen that normally goes wasted during exhaling. They claim they can improve flow rate from 3L to that corresponding of 5L. Was this the same idea as you speculated with on how to improve flow rate?

Hip

I spent a bit time looking for ways to improve oxygen delivery. This video mentions one way, by adding a small gadget, Oxymizer, with a reservoir to store oxygen that normally goes wasted during exhaling. They claim they can improve flow rate from 3L to that corresponding of 5L. Was this the same idea as you speculated with on how to improve flow rate?

Looks interesting, I wonder how it works; the Oxymizer seems to be used in conjunction with a regular nasal cannula (my oxygen concentrator comes with a nasal cannula, which is what I am using at the moment to breathe in the oxygen). I wonder how the Oxymizer is able to momentarily shut off the oxygen during your exhalation?

When using a non-rebreather mask you get the same principle of using a reservoir to store oxygen that would normally be wasted when exhaling. A non-rebreather mask has a small plastic bag reservoir, and a set of one-way valves to ensure when you breathe in, it takes the oxygen from the reservoir bag, and when you breathe out, it directs your breath out of the mask.

I bought a non-rebreather mask, but it is so cheaply made that I does not seem to work properly (it does not fit snuggly to the face for one thing, so there are leaks). I can't see to find a high quality non-rebreather mask for sale.

My idea for converting the oxygen concentrator machine to supplying 90% oxygen at 6 liters per minute is simply to use a very large reservoir plastic bag, of around a third of a cubic meter in volume, and to let the machine run for several hours to fill up this large reservoir bag before you start breathing the oxygen. So you fill this large reservoir with 90% oxygen, and then when filled, you connect your non-rebreather mask to the large reservoir, so that you are breathing in 90% oxygen.

Since the normal human breathing rate at rest is around 6 liters per minute, in order to have enough oxygen to last for a session of 60 minutes, you would need a reservoir bag with a 60 x 6 = 360 liters capacity. And you would need to run the oxygen concentrator machine for 6 hours beforehand to fill this reservoir, since my machine delivers 1 liter of 90% oxygen per minute.

Or if you want to breathe 70% oxygen (which my machine delivers at 2 liters per minute), then you only need to run the machine for 3 hours beforehand.

The only potential issue I can see with this setup is that oxygen can slowly diffuse through thin materials like plastic bags, so after some hours you may lose a bit of your oxygen in the reservoir bag. But if this is a problem, it will be less of an issue if you use 70% oxygen, which is only stored for 3 hours before use.

Last edited:

pattismith

I bought a non-rebreather mask, but it is so cheaply made that I does not seem to work properly (it does not fit snuggly to the face for one thing, so there are leaks). I can't see to find a high quality non-rebreather mask for sale.

I probably had the same mask, leaks are awful...I had to remove the two valves on the side, because I couldn't exhale correctly...so when I breathe in, I have to close it with my fingers....And when I breathe out, the one way valve is supposed to prevent the CO2 to go in the bag, but it is leaking as well, so I have to put extra-pressure in the O2 flow to keep the bag always full to prevent this...:cautious:
I don't understand that there is no other mask available, it is supposed to be medical stuff, the quality should be better!

Hip

I plan to buy a quality rubber or plastic dust mask used for DIY work, such as those shown here. These usually have a good quality one-way valve built in. These masks should be relatively easily adapted for our purposes.

NelliePledge

Ive only managed to get to the centre for 3 sessions so far not even 1 a week yet. I'm hoping as of next week to make two a week but we will see if I manage it.

dreampop

@Jesse2233 I'm interested to hear about oxygen + exercise if that reduces PEM. I've entertained the idea of trying heliox with exercise to see if that would help. It increase exercise intolerance in COPD (albeit a very different situation).

Jesse2233

@Jesse2233 I'm interested to hear about oxygen + exercise if that reduces PEM. I've entertained the idea of trying heliox with exercise to see if that would help. It increase exercise intolerance in COPD (albeit a very different situation).

Yes indeed.

I may not be the best test subject for that as I experience PEM as a subtle worsening of my often-present symptoms of lightheadedness, chest pain, and low physical stamina and not as a marked onset of acute flu-like malaise.

Caveat being I am very careful not to grossly overdo physical activity, so the dramatic malaise may be lurking beyond a point I'm hesitant to discover.

My hope with EWOT is that it helps me exercise with greater intensity (w/o triggering worse POTS and instant exhaustion) and thus creates a virtuous cycle of improved stamina, physical strength, and all the other classic exercise benefits.

Very interesting on heliox. It hadn't occurred to me to mix in other gases. Do you know its mechanism of action in COPD?

I'm on an AMPK rampage at the moment.

Can I hook HBOT in? Well ... Hypoxia is a cause of ampk activation

Might it give ampk activation a break and allow things to get back to normal?

Interesting Murph, it's totally conceivable that AMPK normalization is one of many metabolic benefits HBOT provides.

I wonder what's causing that hypoxia in the first place...

Jesse2233

still in the process to earn the money for a mhbot ;)

PM if you want my contact for a private vendor with a rent to buy program. Their price is really good compared with OxyHealth's program

Ive only managed to get to the centre for 3 sessions so far not even 1 a week yet. I'm hoping as of next week to make two a week but we will see if I manage it.

Hope so too Nellie!