• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Long-chain acylcarnitine deficiency in CFS. Potential involvement of altered carnitin

TheMoonIsBlue

I was looking up what Carnitine supplements Thorne Research offers (they're one of my fav. brands) there were a few, but one thing caught my eye:

Acetyl-L-Carnitine (Carnityl, brand name) "............Other studies have shown ALC may be of benefit for maintaining a positive mood in the elderly, possibly by partially inhibiting the activity of the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis and lowering chronically elevated cortisol levels (which become elevated during stressful situations).*

This may be something to be aware of if a person has chronically LOW cortisol levels.

On the other hand, another product they have which is just called L-Carnitine, it says nothing about lowering Cortisol levels.

So does Acetyl-L-Carnitine act differently than just L-Carnitine in this way, affecting Cortisol?

Dolphin

I was looking up what Carnitine supplements Thorne Research offers (they're one of my fav. brands) there were a few, but one thing caught my eye:

Acetyl-L-Carnitine (Carnityl, brand name) "............Other studies have shown ALC may be of benefit for maintaining a positive mood in the elderly, possibly by partially inhibiting the activity of the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis and lowering chronically elevated cortisol levels (which become elevated during stressful situations).*

This may be something to be aware of if a person has chronically LOW cortisol levels.

On the other hand, another product they have which is just called L-Carnitine, it says nothing about lowering Cortisol levels.

So does Acetyl-L-Carnitine act differently than just L-Carnitine in this way, affecting Cortisol?
FWIW, not sure I recall talk about carnitine and cortisol. That statement doesn't look very definite. Possibly best to look at scientific research if anyone has time.
I don't have time to look through the PubMed results for cortisol carnitine.
One I see is:
Clin Neuropharmacol. 1988 Oct;11(5):472-7.
Acetyl-L-carnitine acutely administered raises beta-endorphin and cortisol plasma levels in humans.
Martignoni E, Facchinetti F, Sances G, Petraglia F, Nappi G, Genazzani AR.
Department of Neurology, C. Mondino Foundation, University of Pavia, Italy.
but I only looked at two.

glenp

"and this too shall pass"
Hi, Canadians; Acetyl l-Carnitine is available in Canada, but only as a prescription drug--at very high price--I paid over $100 for I think 100 capsules of 500 mg. each. Your doctor may or may not be familiar with the stuff... Mine was not. The deal was reached apparently between a previous minister of health and a drug company. This is the world we live in, and it will get worse, not better, with the pressure from Codex Alimentarium.. Chris

Thank you Chris - I am going to ask my doctor for a prescription rather then taking the undated product that am able to get here

Just a reminder to everyone, there are various forms of carnitine- the one I and Chris mentioned is Acetyl-l-carnitine - now available as Chris mentioned with a prescription in Canada -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-M74lgldVw

Side effects

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBzhWjA0YaI&NR=1&feature=fvwp

omerbasket

Sorry for bringing it up - but I wondered: How/Where can I buy a supplement that would include the ingredients that they found to be deficient in ME/CFS patients, like Oleyl-L-Carnitine and Linoleyl-L-Carnitine, as opposed to L-Carnitine and Acetyl-L-Carnitine, which, in their study, were not downregulated?

If someone has an answer, I'd be glad to hear (or read...) it :D