• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Llewellyn King interviews Dr. Kenny De Meirleir: ME/CFS Alert, Episode 42

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
i am a proponent of the hygiene theory. maybe we didnt get all the infections we should have gotten as babies cuz we were too clean.

i am descended from the Rajputs..elite warriors...even more deadly than the Vikings!

hehe

I had plenty of exposure to infectious organisms as a child. I think the hygiene hypothesis is more plausible as an explanation of primary allergic illnesses, such as nut allergy and asthma that occur in early life, rather than illnesses like ME which may or may not have infection as part of their causation, and which may or may not feature allergic-type reactions.

A Rajput, eh - I used to know one, and he was rather a wild man!

Sing

More Viking fun--Today in the doctor's office I opened their issue of National Geographic, from November 2012, and found an article on where the Vikings went and what they did. It said:

"Viking seafarers were the explorers par excellence of medieval Europe...Some voyaged west to what is now Scotland, England, and Ireland in the eighth century, bringing death by the sword in raids immortalized in medieval manuscripts. Many turned to foreign commerce. As early as the ninth century Viking merchants nudged eastward along the shores of the White and Black Seas and navigated the shoals of Eastern European rivers. They founded cities on major Eurasian trade routes and bartered for the finest wares from the Old World--glassware from the Rhine Valley, silver from the Middle East, shells from the Red Sea, silk from China." Then it goes on to describe their New World trading and settlements in Iceland, Greenland, Newfoundland and Baffin Island.

Daffodil

I had plenty of exposure to infectious organisms as a child. I think the hygiene hypothesis is more plausible as an explanation of primary allergic illnesses, such as nut allergy and asthma that occur in early life, rather than illnesses like ME which may or may not have infection as part of their causation, and which may or may not feature allergic-type reactions.

A Rajput, eh - I used to know one, and he was rather a wild man!

yea they really kind of suck other than if you wanna fight/argue

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
More Viking fun--Today in the doctor's office I opened their issue of National Geographic, from November 2012, and found an article on where the Vikings went and what they did. It said:

"Viking seafarers were the explorers par excellence of medieval Europe...Some voyaged west to what is now Scotland, England, and Ireland in the eighth century, bringing death by the sword in raids immortalized in medieval manuscripts. Many turned to foreign commerce. As early as the ninth century Viking merchants nudged eastward along the shores of the White and Black Seas and navigated the shoals of Eastern European rivers. They founded cities on major Eurasian trade routes and bartered for the finest wares from the Old World--glassware from the Rhine Valley, silver from the Middle East, shells from the Red Sea, silk from China." Then it goes on to describe their New World trading and settlements in Iceland, Greenland, Newfoundland and Baffin Island.

So do you think their "bad karma" can be passed down through genes? If so, we have a cause for ME! :confused:

Sushi

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Dreambirdie

I was quoting a Sanskrit scholar who was comparing Swedish and Sanskrit, so I don't have any more documentation than that. He was just very struck by the close similarities.

Sushi

serg1942

Wow! that map is funny... I am the typical spanier, brown-dark hair, black eyes, etc.. However my skin is whiter than usual over here, and I have genes from the only two parts of Spain showed in the map as "invaded by Vikings!". FWIW!!!

Anyway, KDM says that there's a higher proportion of patients from the north Europe, not everyone...

S.

ahimsa

ahimsa_pdx on twitter
i am descended from the Rajputs..elite warriors...even more deadly than the Vikings!

hehe

Hi Daffodil,

Rajput warrior ancestry, huh? So does that mean you're Rajasthani? Or maybe Gujarati?

I don't have any Indian ancestry (unless you count Native American as "Indian" - LOL) but my husband is Maharashtran. He'd probably joke that the Maratha warriors (e.g., Shivaji) were just as fierce. ;)

Sorry for the thread hijacking but I don't run into very many Indians in online forums.

Back to the original topic, thank you to Ember for posting the link to that interview.

Daffodil

hi ahisma. i think i might be rajasthani cuz i am not gujarati and i know my parents are punjabi but speak hindi instead.

i did some googling and it appears the shivaji were descended from rajputs too..?

incidentally, gypsies are descended from rajputs, too!

clive powney

Listening again, he says that about 50% of his patients improve to the degree that they no longer need treatment, then he says, "30%..." and his response is interrupted by the next question. I really wonder what the 30% is!

Any ideas?

Sushi
Is there any way of corroborating this on this site? I have seen loads of posts from KDM patients and not particularly aware of any major success stories???

Xandoff

Michael
Hi Xandoff, the Romans used to primarily red haired and blonde I think, but with major interbreeding it all but disappeared. Modern Italians typically have dark hair, but there are more than a few blondes I think.

My Uncle had a Roman nose, it was roamin all over his face.

Ember

Does anyone know if Dr. De Meirleir says "intracellular infection" or "intercellular infection"?
In Seminar 7 (at 3:38), Dr. De Meirleir mentions that “chlamydial infections, mycoplasma and quite a lot of other intercellular infections are chronically present.”

Sing

Mitochondrial DNA can be traced back to the first females of homo sapiens, and it has shown for the first time a much more accurate map of migrations and so forth. I gather a person can have their mitochondrial DNA analysed and find out all their real ancestry through the female line. People have had some real surprises! Mitochondrial DNA lasts far longer than ordinary DNA. What am I getting to? Maybe a researcher would focus on analysing this type of DNA to look for common ancestry or markers in those with ME/CFS, instead of just looking at the regular DNA.