Phoenix Rising: The Gift That Keeps on Giving All Year Long
This holiday season Jody Smith turns her eyes to the people of Phoenix Rising and gives thanks for you all ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Liver volume is lower and associates with resting and dynamic blood pressure variability in CFS

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Murph, Jun 18, 2018.

1. Murph

Murph :)

Liver volume is lower and associates with resting and dynamic blood pressure variability in chronic fatigue syndrome
    Pawel Zalewski, Andreas Finkelmeyer, James Frith, Laura Maclachlan, Andrew Blamire & Julia L. Newton
    Received 23 Mar 2018, Accepted 11 Jun 2018, Published online: 18 Jun 2018
    ABSTRACT
    Background: Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) in many cases is characterised by abnormal autonomic function and lower blood pressure (BP). In animals the liver is a capacitance vessel for BP homeostasis. We developed a novel liver magnetic resonance (MR) imaging technique to compare liver volume in CFS to controls, and to explore its role in cardiovascular physiology.

Methods: Liver MR (single breath-hold, enhanced T1-weighted, high-resolution isotropic volume excitation 3-Tesla Achieva, NL) determined liver volume. Red cell and plasma volume were also measured. A 10 min resting cardiac autonomic assessment using beat-to-beat measurement (Taskforce; CNSystems) was followed by assessment of hemodynamic response to standing to determine blood pressure drop and return to baseline.

Results: Forty-four CFS patients (age = 45.5, 34f/10 m, Fukuda criteria) and 10 age, activity and sex matched controls (age = 49.4, 7f/3 m) participated. Adjusted for body size, CFS patients had significantly reduced liver volumes (775 (101) ml/m2 v 846 (96) ml/m2; p = 0.02). At rest, liver volume was unrelated to symptom severity, heart rate, BP or heart rate variability. Both increased systolic and diastolic low frequency (LF) BP variability (predominantly sympathetic) were associated with lower liver volumes. On standing, liver volume was unrelated to BP drop but was associated with successful BP return-to-baseline. Red cell and plasma volume were associated positively with liver volume. Multivariate analysis confirmed return-to-baseline BP on standing which was independently associated with liver volume.

Conclusion: Liver volumes were smaller in CFS compared to controls. The relationship between return-to-baseline BP after standing and liver volume suggests, as in animals, that the liver is involved in maintenance of BP.

Abbreviations: ACI: Accelerated cardiac index; BPV: Blood pressure variability; BRS: Baroreflex sensitivity; CFS: chronic fatigue syndrome; Chr: Chromium; CI: cardiac index; FIS: Fatigue impact scale; HF: High frequency; HRV: Heart rate variability; LF: Low frequency; MR: magnetic resonance; NU: normalised units; SD: Standardised deviation; PSD: power spectral density; SI: Stroke index; TPRI: Total peripheral resistance index

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/21641846.2018.1488525?journalCode=rftg20

cigana, mariovitali, Mary and 2 others like this.
  2. Murph

Murph :)

Almost hesitated to post this, because I'm aware that it will excite known hepatophile @mariovitali so tremendously and I don't wish to exacerbate any adrenergic symptoms he may be experiencing! ;)

Lisa108, Lalia, Mary and 10 others like this.
  3. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    OMG, you are too funny @Murph! When I saw the title of your thread (I did not read the study), I literally thought, I should tag @mariovitali ;)

Lisa108 and mariovitali like this.
  4. Runner5

Runner5 Senior Member

PNW
    What is low liver volume? Does this refer to fatty liver?

perrier likes this.
  5. mariovitali

mariovitali Senior Member

@Murph

Haaahahaha!!!

You should have seen my face when I read the word “hepatophile”

No idea what low volume Liver means despite my hepatophily !

Lisa108, Murph, perrier and 2 others like this.
  6. Wally

Wally Senior Member

Interesting for a study published in 2018 that they used “Fukuda” criteria for patient selection.

Lisa108 and sb4 like this.
  7. anni66

anni66 mum to ME daughter

scotland
    Newton seems to always use Fukada

8. mariovitali

OTOH, this is not funny. Despite evidence of Liver fibrosis in some ME/CFS patients, no thorough testing to greater scale yet.

Is it really just #MillionsMissing?

:

Runner5 likes this.
  9. perrier

perrier Senior Member

Yes, what is their conclusion? What is low liver volume?

Runner5 likes this.
  10. CFS_for_19_years

CFS_for_19_years Hoarder of biscuits

USA
    Full text:
    http://sci-hub.tw/https://doi.org/10.1080/21641846.2018.1488525

Under Discussion the second paragraph begins:
    When I tried to copy and paste it didn't turn out to be readable; that paragraph and the one after it discuss the possible implications.

pamojja likes this.
  11. pamojja

pamojja Senior Member

Austria

sb4, mariovitali, Murph and 1 other person like this.
  12. Wally

Wally Senior Member

I wonder what the average cost would be for performing tomography testing (x-ray or ultrasound) on the liver? I know I have had ultrasound testing of my liver in the past. Very easy, quick procedure - the findings were non alcoholic fatty liver disease. These tests were run before I was diagnosed with this illness when an endocrinologist was searching for answers to my extreme levels of fatigue etc... I will see if I can find those test results and also see if the imagery from this test is still available for review.

Not sure what information could be gleaned from those prior tests that might be relevant to the information that they found in this study. But it could be interesting to see how many patients diagnosed with ME/CFS, under newer criteria such as the “Canadian Consensus”, may have had liver tomography testing that did or did not reveal an abnormality with the structure of the liver.

Edit - Does anyone know if tomography testing of the liver is one of the tests included in the NIH ME/CFS Intramural Study?

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
    sb4 and mariovitali like this.
  13. mariovitali

Unfortunately, the gold standard to rule out any kind of Liver issues is biopsy from multiple sites.

This is not an easy task and it may also have complications. In my understanding, the second best method to rule out Liver involvement is to perform a test called Liver Elastography aka Fibroscan.

sb4 and perrier like this.
  14. Lalia

Lalia

Australia
    @mariovitali what type of complications can occur from having a liver biopsy? I imagine this would be quite a painful procedure, but curious to know if it’s the type that could potentially have lasting negative impacts on sensitive patients...

15. mariovitali

If anyone is thinking of doing this procedure, it would be better to discuss with a hepatologist to have a detailed view of pros and cons.

Lalia likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.