• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Liver & Spleen Swelling

I've had both Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Fibromyalgia for over 25 years now. I'm 49. I get swelling of my liver and spleen during my worst flu-like periods. Is this common? What do I need to do, when this happens?

I go to the VA for all of my care. They aren't treating the Chronic Fatigue Syndrome at all and are only treating the muscle complaints with the Fibromyalgia.

kat0465

Have you been tested for reactivated ebv? Just a thought as ebv virus is what causes mono,and some people have a swollen liver with that. Also any new meds?

lucy

EBV, CMV and toxoplasmosis. Still I believe EBV or CMV reactivates when there is a problem with immune system, so it is a symptom.

With an enlarged spleen one has to be extremely careful not to take any hits/blows to the bely. It is quite difficult in crowded places, and especially kids are dangerous.

I would be interested to know if you get pain when the spleen swells, and if possible, at which rib exactly. Also, what kind of pain it is. It is interesting for me, because I have pain in upper left quadrant for 1 yr 4 months and the dr. thinks it is spleen, while my spleen is 9 cm, meanwhile I am thinking it is some kind of problem with the intestine, as I have b.hominis.

anne_likes_red

I get pain in the LUQ often. My GP said my spleen felt swollen 15 years ago. The pain in that area has got much worse since then and I can't sit at a certain angle because my bottom left rib feels like it presses in onto something painful. Though I wondered too if it might be my intestine rather than my spleen. It actually feels as if my lower left ribs ache front and back sometimes.
I have never detected pain in my liver though, and Tired4 I'm sorry I don't know what you're supposed to do for the pain either :(
I've had EBV and Toxo too.

Merry

My mother, I recall, was told at on time that her spleen was swollen. Don't know if her liver was labelled "swollen", but when the doctor tried to do an biopsy (in response to my mother's complaint of pain), the liver tissue crumbled. The doctor called her liver "fatty" and told her nothing could be done. That was in 1970. She received no follow-up treatment through the years. In 1997 she died of cirrhosis (she was a teetoatler).

Tired4solong, your complaints sound very serious indeed to me. Sorry, I should't alarm you. Sorry. But if you have any strength at all, press for better treatment. Or, better, a family member or friend should advocate for you.

Best of luck.

sorin

I have daily pain in the upper left abdominal side, under the ribs, since 3 years ago. Some time ago I was told I have enlarged spleen and liver. I am wondering if an abdominal ultrasonogrpahy would show problems at spleen? Would an ultrasound test be relevant? Anyone knows if there is any treatment for spleen?

sflorence

I have daily pain in the upper left abdominal side, under the ribs, since 3 years ago. Some time ago I was told I have enlarged spleen and liver. I am wondering if an abdominal ultrasonogrpahy would show problems at spleen? Would an ultrasound test be relevant? Anyone knows if there is any treatment for spleen?

Mono can make you have an enlarged spleen. What are you platelet and white blood cell count?

sorin

Repeated blood test showed normal values, everything is in the range, including the platelets, 240 000 / mcL. However I have constant daily pain in the left part of the abdomen, under the ribs.

sflorence

@sorin

Parasites can also make your spleen enlarged, as well as bacterial infections.

The only reason I found this post is because I am experimenting with a mononucleosis nosodes (homeopathic preparation of mono) and I decided to see what others were saying about it on PR.

I dosed the nosode 2 days ago at 30c, and the following morning my spleen felt painful and enlarged. I remember the last time my spleen was enlarged was when I was a freshman in high school (around the time my health problems began).

Anyways, this is a good sign of healing. What homeopathic nosodes will do is bring up any suppressed diseases and allow your body to process them properly. It is actually very accurate because the spleens role in the body is to clean the blood of pathogens like mono. So I am excited to see what the following week brings. I will be dosing the nosode every 3 days according to a book written by someone who has recovered from CFS via homeopathy, and she used nosodes in 3 day repetitions.

I have tried every damn thing on this forum and every other "cure" out there. Nothing in western medicine has given me any relief. I have seen some benefit from homeopathy but no breakthroughs yet. I have a gut feeling that homeopathy might be my golden ticket out of this, I have been studying it for around a year now.