• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Lithium as a neuroprotective agent

whodathunkit

AB said:
On a side note, it seems that I react negatively to all medications which purportedly suppress thyroid function, while I react positively to all medications that purportedly increase it (too much will cause bad crashes though).
Sounds like adrenal dysfunction combined with hypothyroid. I'm very similar, and that's my problem. Just saying in case you haven't checked into fixing your adrenals.

npeden

NPeden, Monterey, CA
It's probably the thyroid suppressing effect. I experienced it first hand while experimenting with low dose lithium orotate. It produced a sudden drop in energy levels on the first day of taking it. I was expecting positive effects, and it took me a week to realize it was actually the lithium causing this.

On a side note, it seems that I react negatively to all medications which purportedly suppress thyroid function, while I react positively to all medications that purportedly increase it (too much will cause bad crashes though).

Brad, I don't know why I am posting in your space. Forgive me. I am a bit low thyroid and have a gene mutated for thyroid. I took thyroid supp via transdermal slathering of iodine. So I got a 5 mg. wallop of lithium and a whopping dose of iodine....really hyped me up.

I am sorry if I chose the wrong forum for posting this question. You guys are all so bright and know your chromosomes so well...

I just need something to calm my f ing COMT. I too have been bipolar; off all rx now except gabapentin for sleep, which is not great but the best I can do unless I figure out my methylation and I am glad to hear, glutathione, will help too.

Any further advice about working with COMT H62H, T, TT, is greatly appreciated.

npeden

NPeden, Monterey, CA
Slightly off-topic, and perhaps it's already been discussed, but have you thought about trying beta-blockers for excitability?
Will run that by my naturopath and psych who likes supps this week. Thanks! I often wondered about them.

npeden

NPeden, Monterey, CA
Brad, I don't know why I am posting in your space. Forgive me. I am a bit low thyroid and have a gene mutated for thyroid. I took thyroid supp via transdermal slathering of iodine. So I got a 5 mg. wallop of lithium and a whopping dose of iodine....really hyped me up.

I am sorry if I chose the wrong forum for posting this question. You guys are all so bright and know your chromosomes so well...

I just need something to calm my f ing COMT. I too have been bipolar; off all rx now except gabapentin for sleep, which is not great but the best I can do unless I figure out my methylation and I am glad to hear, glutathione, will help too.

Bob, looked into beta blockers and thought they were not for me but then I did Promethease and somewhere in there is a recc. for beta blockers. Do you know if they work for down regulation?

Bob

Bob, looked into beta blockers and thought they were not for me but then I did Promethease and somewhere in there is a recc. for beta blockers. Do you know if they work for down regulation?
Hi, I haven't been following this thread, or your own situation closely. I jumped into this thread half-way through. So I'm not sure exactly what you're asking.

Beta blockers can help relieve over-stimulation (physical and cognitive) for some medical situations. e.g. They can be prescribed to people with over-active thyroid to reduce symptoms.

I'm not sure if they would have any effect on bi-polar symptoms, or if they would be safe for bi-polar patients.

But, like I said, I haven't been following this thread closely, so I might be providing irrelevant info here.