• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Listening to the patients (comment on Nature News commentary, Dave deBronkart)

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
Read his great comment here

a quick preview so you can see that you really do want to follow the link:
Hi all ... I don't know a thing about CFS, so I'm only going to address the question of whether scientists (pardon the multiple quotes) "should" be "led by" or "swayed by" patients. I won't be strident because I think I understand the author's concerns and I want to appeal to a yet deeper level of scientific thinking.

I beg all to consider (1) that not all reality has been discovered yet by science, and (2) that if the goal of healthcare (and thus medicine) is to improve people's well-being, there's value in listening to what patients say about their condition.

Re (2) - and on this one I'm pretty confident – if the goal of healthcare is to improve well-being, then only one party can say whether it's working: the person who's being well, or not....