• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

List of media stories on tribunal PACE data release ruling

Hilary

I can't believe I managed to miss this - been away with no internet connection, phone signal, television, radio.....
Fantastic news and about time too. Huge thanks to Alem Mathees. It feels as though the tanker is finally turning..

H
As an (ex)lawyer, I'll also be interested to hear what the implications of the ruling from a legal/ethical point of view....

Hilary

I wonder if there won't be much in the way of media coverage until a reanalysis is done. I'm guessing the general public isn't going to pay much attention to the current news ("tribunal orders release of data") even though those of us with an interest know how significant this should be. On the other hand, a story which covered manipulation of data, fabrication of various claims and generally nefarious goings on is much more likely to command attention.

AndyPR

After nearly four months deliberation a tribunal has dismissed an appeal.PDF) made by Queen Mary University of London (QMUL) against a requirement to release data from the PACE trial – a trial that investigated treatments for chronic fatigue syndrome. This is an important step towards the increased transparency we need for balanced analysis of clinical trials where the methodology is questionable.

http://theconversation.com/tribunal-was-right-to-order-release-of-chronic-fatigue-trial-data-64255

Opinion piece by a Jo Edwards (that name sounds familiar.. ;) )

Voxpolitical - Mike Sivier

This isn't really like something in the 'press' - it's a blog - but i thought it was interesting for the quote from twitter and the fact that is is a political blog rather than a health one. I don't know if he has links to ME. It quotes from one of the i articles and there are some comments.

http://voxpoliticalonline.com/2016/...data-from-controversial-trial-to-be-released/

The twitter quote -

Twitter quote from - Vox Political - Mike Sivier.png

AndyPR

The Queen Mary University of London (QMUL) has been ordered to release previously withheld data from a treatment trial under the UK Freedom of Information Act. Patients and advocates hope the ruling will lead to more rigorous critique of the trial’s controversial treatment recommendations.
Imagine you went to your doctor with two broken legs and were told the only proven treatment was to see a psychologist and start jogging. Broken legs should not hold you back. It might hurt, but putting weight on broken bones can’t actually do you harm. You just need to get motivated

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/thefeed/...ic-fatigue-syndrome-theres-some-good-news-you