• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

List of drugs that deplete vitamins, nutrients...

dannybex

I stumbled across this list of drugs that deplete certain nutrients and thought it might be worthwhile to post.

http://www.healthdesk.com/blog/825633

Nutrient Depleting Drugs

The damage takes place slowly, over time, and it can be addressed, but only if you know about it. Here is a partial list of medications that can deplete your body of essential nutrients:

ACE inhibitors deplete zinc.

Acid reducers deplete B12 and calcium.

Antibiotics deplete Lactobacillus acidophilus, Bifidobacteria bifidum, and other good bacteria; vitamins B1, B2, B3, B6, B12, and K; biotin; and inositol.

Aspirin depletes folic acid, iron, potassium, and vitamin C.

Benzodiazepines deplete vitamin B12 and CoQ10.

Beta-blockers deplete CoQ10.

Corticosteroids deplete calcium, folic acid, magnesium, potassium, selenium, vitamin C, vitamin D, and zinc.

Estrogens deplete magnesium, omega-3 fatty acids, vitamin B1, and zinc.

Famotidine and other H2-blocking drugs deplete calcium, folic acid, iron, vitamin B12, vitamin D, and zinc.

Glucophage depletes vitamin B12.

NSAIDS deplete folic acid.

Oral contraceptives deplete vitamin C, vitamin B2, folic acid, magnesium, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, and zinc.

Like they say, this is only a partial list. I'm wondering if anyone has access to the book mentioned in the article...?

taniaaust1

On top of that.. certain minerals compete and can deplete other minerals so watch that too.

(I'll probably details of that when Im feeling more up to it).

Major problems here trying to get and keep minerals in my body.

After taking some "Wonder Laboratories 625mg EDTA" twice a day for a bit and think I am low on calcium. The reason I say that is because I had a bad crash. Think I developed some stomach problems too boot. After all that a few months down the road, I tried some calcium and think I took a nap afterwards in response to the calcium.(very vague memory on the napping part, could be wrong)

aquariusgirl

Hmm. Sucking down activated charcoal like it's going out of fashion here. Dairy free and terrified of calcium because of excitotoxicity risk.
Just saw my alk phos liver enzyme drop out of range...presumably due to low zinc. When I supplement zinc, I get that nauseous feeling that indicates low stomach acid per Klinghardt.
Latest OAT shows very low VIt C, low B6 & some other stuff I can't remember.
But when I supplement some of this stuff, esp. the Vit Bs .. ..when I do them all together I get major detox...so I was gonna put off tackling that part unilt after gcmaf..when hopefullly I can get glutathione up.. and that will make detox easier.
This is tough, right?
Plus, who knew I was depleting biotin the whole time i was on clonazepam.??

I think I read something about excitoxcity and calcium, but never seemed to feel anything bad while taking calcium.

I have problems with caffine. Maybe it is because I pee out all my minerals....Maybe eliminating caffine could be a way for some people to avoid the dropping of minerals...