• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Lipkin bad news folks

liquid sky

Not much of a story here. Predictable? Yes. Sounds like the hammer has been put down. Lipkin says “These results refute any correlation between these agents and disease." So, not just ME, but any disease.

ukxmrv

Press conference should be interesting. Lets see what Mikovits and Rucshetti have to say.

These inital reports could be based on the SMC spin on things.

pollycbr125

I new the press coverage would be bad but this just makes us look like theres bugger all wrong with us . Nobody will want to study viruses in me/cfs after this . Cant stop crying I can see what is gonna happen in UK and its not going to be pretty

liquid sky

I new the press coverage would be bad but this just makes us look like theres bugger all wrong with us . Nobody will want to study viruses in me/cfs after this . Cant stop crying I can see what is gonna happen in UK and its not going to be pretty

Hi Polly. Maybe the press conference will bring out some other things that were found? Sorry to hear you are crying. It is so upsetting. Hugs, Anne

alex3619

Its only bad news if misreported. Any advance on the knowledge is good news, though perhaps disappointing. Further information will be available soon, and its not surprising that some media has run off the deep end into hyperbole. The Belfast article however states very clearly that CFS is a physical disease. On the other hand the Scottish report is:
"Viral infection ruled out as cause of ME"

It seems they have non-science reporters reporting again - this statement can easily be misinterpreted.

The most extreme spin is yet to be seen on this though. As PWCalvin pointed out, if they start with "viruses don't cause CFS" or anything to that effect, they are misinterpreting the science or deliberately spinning the result.

Bye, Alex

Deatheye

Sometimes I hate the press. If you only read the heading you could read it as: No virus causes it. But if you read the hole article it actually says only xmrv pmlv are not the cause. Doesn't seem to rule out viral component in generel.
EDIT: Damn alex got me I was to slow writing these few words xD and I missed PWCalvin pointing it out too...

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
I still believe EBV, CMV, HHV-6 and Mast Cell Activation either have something to do with it or can lead us to the culprit. The Rituximab trials have provided a wondeful window to look through for possible other players in this game.

The Montoya pathogen study, the CFI study an the spinal fluid studies that Dr. Bariniuk and a totally seperate spinal fluid study by Natelson are going to open windows and doors into this disease and let us see that there is more than one cause for this disease and that it is more than likely a chain reaction that has taken place.

We can then start unraveling what has really happened and climb that ladder one step at a time till we get to the top.

These of course are just my thoughts at the present time and will more than likely change over time, but the one thing that want change is that I will always try to to have some kind of scenario in my head that will give us all a way out eventually!

Can't stop hoping!!!

alex3619

Predictable.

What about low dose radiation poisoning?

In Japan post nuclear drop, residents were labeled as "lazy man disease" or "Kira Kira" I think they called it. It was due to low dose radiation poisoning. Look up the symptoms and notice they mirror CFS/ME symptoms.

http://enenews.com/

Hi CFS-FIBRO-LYME, Martin L. Pall has been commenting on similarities like this for at least seven years. Post-radiation syndrome is very similar to CFS, fibro, GWS and so on. Bye, Alex

ukxmrv

The newspapers may lift the conclusions straight off the press release from the SMC. They have done it before. With PACE I found one journalist only read the SMC briefling and didn't read the paper or anything else connected to it. He picked his quotes from the SMC press release and went no further.

alex3619

The newspapers may lift the conclusions straight off the press release from the SMC. They have done it before. With PACE I found one journalist only read the SMC briefling and didn't read the paper or anything else connected to it. He picked his quotes from the SMC press release and went no further.

Hi ukxmrv, this fits with what has been discussed on a number of threads, its called churnalism, and in this case is assisted by a misleading press release. You might like to see this:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/video/2011/feb/23/churnalism-press-releases-news-video

Bye, Alex

urbantravels

disjecta membra
It is considered highly unethical for news outlets to violate an embargo. Just adds insult to injury to have the "scoop" be the most dumbed-down possible version of whatever the study actually said.

And as all persons with brains and knowledge of grammar have already noticed, "Viruses don't cause" ME/CFS is not the same as saying "These particular viruses don't cause" it.

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
have we seen an SMC press release? why is the study not embargoed until 10:30 am EDT?

at any rate, by not waiting until the actual press conference, they have cheated themselves and their readers out of having the actual information. I expect there will be interesting things said at the conference including about other infectious agents, and Lipkin's other study looking for other infectious agents including possibly finding a novel one (he hopes--and it would be nice!).

urbantravels

disjecta membra
The embargo lifts in three hours' time - midnight EDT - not at the time of the press conference tomorrow. So the Scotsman and the Belfast Telegraph violated the embargo by 3 hours and a bit.