• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Lion's Mane Mushroom - For Brain and Neurological Support

Wayne

My partner just took a local mushroom class, and returned with a fairly remarkable story of Alzheimer's reversal. The facilitator's father in law (or close non-family acquaintance) apparently had very advanced dementia, and was put on a regimen of Lion's Mane mushroom because it's purported beneficial effects on nerve and brain function. By the third month, very noticeable improvements began to occur, and continued in the following months until his Alzheimer's was completely reversed.

Since so many of us are dealing with nerve and/or brain problems, I thought I'd introduce this topic on the forum, and share this story. I did a quick google search, and found a number of references to memory improvement, neurological support, and etc. Here's a link to a fairly brief article, followed by two paragraphs from the article below. This is something I hope to follow up on in the near future.

Lion's Mane: A Mushroom That Improves Your Memory and Mood?
Lion's mane mushrooms are increasingly studied for their neuroprotective effects. Two novel classes of Nerve Growth Factors (NGFs) -- molecules stimulating the differentiation and re-myelination of neurons -- have been discovered in this mushroom so far. These cyathane derivatives are termed "hericenones" and "erinacines." The levels of these compounds can vary substantially between strains, based on the measurements our team has conducted.

About a dozen studies have been published on the neuroregenerative properties of lion's mane mushrooms since 1991, when Dr. Kawagishi first identified NGFs in Japanese samples. Since his original discovery, in vitro and in vivo tests have confirmed that hericenones and erinacines stimulate nerve regeneration. In 2009, researchers at the Hokuto Corporation and the Isogo Central and Neurosurgical Hospital published a small clinical study. Giving lion's mane to 30 Japanese patients with mild cognitive impairment resulted in significant benefits for as long as they consumed the mushrooms:

Jarod

Hi all,

If you google around a bit, one can order special mushroom kits and grow mushrooms at home.

for instance Shitaki's are $10 a lb in the grocery store, so might be worth it to grow them if one was going to eat them everyday.

I haven't tried, but might be good for those on a budget and have a green thumb.

http://www.oystercreekmushroom.com/shiitakekit.html

Lion's Mane grow kits