• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Link between mitocondria deficency and adrenal fatigue ?

daniariete2000

Is there a link between mitocondria deficency and adrenal fatigue ?

When a persone feel fatigue coud be a mitoxcondria deficency , an adrenal suppression or both ?

Thanks

Daniele

taniaaust1

As the mitochrondria are the cell powerhouses (they give cells their energy).. Id think that could affect the adrenals (actually would have some effect on every part of the body and all organs).

Fatigue could be caused by all kinds of things.. not just those two things.

ramakentesh

Actually not really since one is based on a specific endocrine system and is fairly speculatuve science, the other relates to energy generation at the cellular level all over the body and not specific to any one particular bodily system. You may find that much of your fatigue and loss of thought clarity is postural to some degree.

xrunner

Is there a link between mitocondria deficency and adrenal fatigue ?

When a persone feel fatigue coud be a mitoxcondria deficency , an adrenal suppression or both ?

Thanks

Daniele

I'm not an expert on this topic but I think there is a link. The way I understand it is adrenal hormones flow from cholesterol. Cholesterol is converted into pregnenolone and I think this metabolic step occurs in the mitochondria but is controlled by the hypothalamus.
However, all of that can influenced by the immune system, microbes and toxins. The one I "know" best, borrelia/lyme triggers an inflammation cascade, including the release of cytokine ILb (can't remember whether A or B) which stimulates the hypothalamus to release stress hormones. In the long run it can lead to adrenal exhaustion.
I' am sure there are other ways the working of the HPA axis is influenced, eg. if you look up Dr Shoemaker's website it's got a nice chart showing how inflammation affects various hormones.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
also theres a concept of pregnenolone steal(thanks for correcting me caledonia, lol). As preg is the most upstream hormone from which all hormones are made, what occurrs in times of chronic stress on the body is that preg is diverted away from sex hormones like testosterone, dhea and into cortisol, eventually the signalling from the hypothalamus to keep pumping out cortisol burns out and left with all hormones low or whacky hormones. Also high cortisol being unchecked by dhea, which is its job, then has allowed cortisol to run wild causing its damage. Pregnenolone also helps to make neurotransmitter etc too, so many functions are really thrown out of whack. http://vimeo.com/3818805

cheers!!!