• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Licorice as an antiviral among other things.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I was trying to figure out what was causing my constipation and was looking into 2 new things I had been taking and discovered this about Licorice extract that I am taking for adrenal support (It was the Famvir that caused the problem).

http://www.healthline.com/natstandardcontent/licorice

Here's an excerpt:

Aplastic anemia: Limited study suggests that licorice may be beneficial in aplastic anemia, but results are inconclusive.
Grade: C

Apthous ulcers / canker sores: Some research suggests that licorice extracts, DGL, and the drug carbenoxolone, may provide benefits for treating cankers sores. However, studies have been small with flaws in their designs. The safety of DGL makes it an attractive therapy if it does speed healing of these sores, but it is not clear at this time whether there is truly any benefit.

Atopic dermatitis: Topical licorice extract gel has been shown to be effective in the treatment of atopic dermatitis in preliminary human study. Further research is needed to confirm these results.

Bleeding stomach ulcers caused by aspirin: Although there has been some study of DGL in this area, it is not clear what effects DGL has on gastrointestinal bleeding.

Dental hygiene: Further studies are needed prior to recommending for or against the use of glycyrrhizin in dental hygiene.

Familial Mediterranean fever (FMF): Early study of a multi-ingredient preparation containing licorice, called Immunoguard™, suggests possible effects in managing FMF. Well-designed study of licorice alone is necessary before a recommendation can be made.

Functional dyspepsia: Early studies indicate that the herbal preparation STW 5, which contains licorice among many other herbal extracts, may help improve symptoms in patients with functional dyspepsia.

Herpes simplex virus: Laboratory studies have found that DGL may hinder the spread and infection of herpes simplex virus. Studies in humans have been small, but they suggest that topical application of carbenoxolone cream may improve healing and prevent recurrence.

High potassium levels resulting from abnormally low aldosterone levels: In theory, because of the known effects of licorice, there may be some benefits of licorice for high potassium levels caused by a condition called hypoaldosteronism. There is early evidence in humans in support of this use. However, research is preliminary and a qualified health care provider should supervise treatment.

HIV: Early studies suggest that glycyrrhizin may inhibit HIV replication in patients with AIDS. However, human reports are lacking. Additional study is needed to make a firm recommendation.

Hyperprolactinemia (neuroleptic-induced): Shakuyaku-kanzo-to, an herbal medicine containing licorice, has been used for neuroleptic-induced hyperprolactinemia. However, additional studies are needed in this area.

Idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura: Early study has suggested that recombinant roasted licorice decoction combined with low-dose glucocorticoids may be more effective than glucocorticoids alone in treating idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura. This combination has also shown a lower adverse effect rate than glucocorticoids alone.

Inflammation: Many medical conditions are marked by inflammation. Because licorice can affect the metabolism of steroids, licorice is sometimes used to help decrease inflammation. Additional study is needed to make a firm recommendation.

Polycystic ovarian syndrome: Spironolactone is a synthetic steroid that is commonly used as a diuretic in women with polycystic ovary syndrome. Licorice has been used in combination with spironolactone to reduce side effects related to the diuretic activity of spironolactone.

Reducing body fat mass: Preliminary data shows that licorice may reduce body fat mass. Further research is needed to confirm these results.

Upper respiratory tract infections (common cold): Historically, licorice has been used for its expectorant and anti-tussive effects. The herbal combination product, KanJang®, has been studied for the treatment of uncomplicated upper respiratory tract infections. Results are mixed, and additional study is needed.

Viral hepatitis: The licorice extracts DGL and carbenoxolone have been proposed as possible therapies for viral hepatitis. Further research is needed before a recommendation can be made.

Peptic ulcer disease: Licorice extracts, DGL and carbenoxolone, have been studied for treating peptic ulcers. DGL (but not carbenoxolone) may offer some benefits. However, most studies are poorly designed and some results conflict. Therefore, it is unclear whether there is any benefit from licorice for this condition.
Grade: D

Licensed from

peggy-sue

I can't take liquorice, it causes dreadful constipation in me.
I used to love it too. It was in a red berry tea I was drinking for a while, before I discovered that the liquorice in it was causing a huge "back-log"...:D:rolleyes:;)

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I love it and fortunately don't have that problem. But I'd rather the licorice cause that problem than the Famvir.

Dreambirdie

work in progress
The main problem with using licorice is that it can raise your b.p.

I had VERY low b.p. (90/50), and low adrenals. I began using licorice in 2011, and within a couple years my b.p. went up to an uncomfortable level (130-/85). I didn't know what happening, because I'm not in the habit of monitoring my b.p. What got me to check it was that I began having severe anxiety attacks and palpitations.

It took me stopping all my supps and adding them back in one at a time to realize it had been the licorice that was the culprit. It had had a cumulative effect and snuck up on me over time.

golden

Liquorice tea is helping me. It feels beneficial but nice to have a theory as to why.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
High BP is a known side effect of licorice.

If you can take it, it obviously has some benefits. I take 1/4 tsp licorice extract each morning. So far not noticing much.

Dreambirdie

work in progress
Keep an eye on it if you take it regularly for a prolonged period.

I had no problems with it for a year and nine months, and then it hit me.

Legendrew

I love liquorice, especially the sweet although it gives me an upset stomach quite often although I suspect that may be simply over-indulgence. Interesting to hear that it has some good effects although someone mentioned it can raise blood pressure which wouldn't be too good for me, my blood pressure runs very high at the moment usually 140/95 when resting and 165/105 after exertion which often leaves me with blurred visions, headaches and sweating...

Ema

I find different brands of licorice to vary widely in terms of effects.

Several preparations give me headaches but I consider the Metagenics Licorice Plus mix to be one of my "must have" supplements. I was able to wean off Florinef (for the time being at least!) with the help of licorice.