• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Letter, Re: Therapy a path to new life (East & Bays Courier, NZ, 25 May 2011)

drjohn

Letter, Re: Therapy a path to new life (East & Bays Courier, Auckland, New Zealand, 25 May 2011)

PERMISSION TO FORWARD, USE IN NEWSLETTERS AND RE POST ON FACEBOOK PAGES

To read a letter from Dr John Greensmith
click http://mefreeforall.org/wp/re-therapy-a-path-to-new-life-east-bays-courier-25-may-2011/

Any letters in response should be sent to e-mail address
edeb@snl.co.nz

It is not essential to register to leave comments, so it's as easy as leaving them on Facebook. Why not just copy across, or adapt for increased awareness of New Zealand readers.

Follow us on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/MeFreeForAllOrg

Join us for a mix of serious and fun stuff on Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000948699086#!/profile.php?id=100000948699086

Cheers
John
drjohngreensmith@mefreeforall.org
Dr John H Greensmith
ME Free For All. org

Enid

Great work you are doing drjohn - obviously not ME here. I tried just Osteopathy in the early days (being told by my Docs nothing found) which sent me into a bad bed bound relapse.

Firestormm

No oesteopathy there Enid... read on if you can or want... that therapy that shall not be named again!

My thinking is that currently so many are 'diagnosed' by whatever method - or no method at all - and the 'illness' itself - if indeed we all share the same - can and does fluctuate - that sometimes (maybe) - an intensive sessions or three of this nature, can and does apparently, prove sufficient to enable people to claim 'recovery'.

Well some people and for some of the time. I am not 'anti-anything' really. Cripes in the first five years I tried everything going - I suspect - most of 'us' probably do. This could have been one of them - if it were available. I would do it now - just to see for myself - but cannot afford it.

I am not overly concerned that it might 'damage' me either by the way - I don't believe it will - at least not to the extent that relapses don't already.

Nah this is about casting the net too wide to begin with, and having 'labels' that are not even adequate and are less than strictly applied. Get the 'diagnosis' wrong - even through use of the CCC - and you still run the 'risk' of capturing a whole group of sick people who may not be suffering from the same thing.

Even biological testing will only 'prove' some of us actually have X and others might have all the other letters of the alphabet. But with a generally recognised fluctuating disease - those tests (when and if developed), may themselves produce different results at different times.

Difficult or what?! :)

Enid

If I recall correctly Firestorm (11 years ago onset - nothing showing up in limited UK blood tests) even my Osteopath declined to treat me after 4 sessions. They realised their treatment was not aiding me (briefly though), and like any professional watching results ineffective stopped as my decline set in. But I have always known the "cause" was viral (Neurologist confirmed his own thinking). Now I see so many members diagnosed with various viruses etc (I do think XMRV is part of a very complex picture of infection) and that like others is diagnosable with the accurate testings now done). Like any fluctuating illness/infection apart from treating pathogens I personally would not recommend anything else.

Firestormm

I most certainly wouldn't recommend the LP to anyone! If people want to try it then it is up to them - provided they are not being exploited. That desperation I felt for so many years led me to do many 'weird and wonderful' things. If they didn't work - I stopped. I would try the LP as I said. I tend to need to try things for myself before commenting, but even then I wouldn't recommend. Present a balanced opinon? Most definitely. But never recommend.