• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Lets Tell Chase How Great WPI is! $500k More to Win! chasecommunitygiving@chase.com

justinreilly

Lets focus on letting Chase know how deserving WPI is of the $500K in discretionary spending.

There is a silver lining in winning less than $100K in that we are eligible for the $200K discretionary spending prize. (There is also an additional $300K in discretionary spending for which I believe all the charities in round 2 are eligible).

Also, Chase has sent an email to Jace, below, saying it has already approved eligibility of the Jewish school charities. So I believe we should shift focus from protesting voting irregularities to focus on letting Chase know how deserving WPI is!!
chasecommunitygiving@chase.com
And if you have any spare time after that, send a separate email, ideally from a different email account, not mentioning WPI, but pointing out the voting 'irregularities.'

http://apps.facebook.com/chasecommunitygiving/rules
(Charities awarded a Round 2 grant of $100,000 or more in the current program are not eligible to receive the $200,000 Advisory Board grant)

Posted by Jane Clout on
http://www.mecfsforums.com/index.php/topic,7504.54.html
Thank you for reporting your concerns. Organizations that receive votes in the program are reviewed for eligibility to help ensure compliance with the Official Rules. The winning schools were among many educational institutions we reviewed and determined met our eligibility requirements.

We value your views and thank you for writing to us.

caledonia

Just to let you know I wrote a letter, based on your letter, but added in some details of my own.

Here is what I wrote; others feel free to use parts of it for your letter.

Dear Chase Community Giving,

I am supporting Whittemore Peterson Institute in the Chase Community Giving contest. I am writing you to let you know how great WPI is and urge you to award them some of the discretionary contest funds.

I have been disabled and housebound with ME/CFS for ____ years. 1 million people in the US and 17 million people worldwide have had their lives stopped by this devastating neuro-immune disease, with virtually no viable treatment options and little bona fide research. ME/CFS is virtually the lowest funded disease by the CDC and NIH, with research mainly focusing on the psychological, not biological. This disease is where multiple sclerosis was 50 years ago when it was called "hysterical paralysis".

There was little hope that this terrible situation would change, until the Whittemore Peterson Institute recently came along. One family, fighting for their daughter's life, footed the bill and opened a state of the art institute to research neuroimmune disease. As the New York Times noted, comparing WPI to Michael J. Fox's Foundation and others, "Harvey and Annette Whittemore were not the first to start a research foundation out of desperation to find answers for an incurable disease...But few if any of the private groups have produced notable results as quickly as the Whittemore Peterson Institute has."
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/12/giving/12SICK.html?scp=1&sq=whittemore peterson&st=cse

Unfortunately, the Whittemore family can no longer cover all of the Institute's costs alone, and the government is not helping fund their research grants, despite advocacy by patients. WPI needs help raising money that will go towards desperately needed research for a cure. This is where you can help. Please award this most deserving of charities as much of your discretionary funding as possible!

Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,

leela

I have written a letter too. Thanks to everyone here for the inspiration and suggestions.
I hope they listen and give a big wad of cash to WPI!