• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Learning How to Learn...Online Course

ahmo

I've recently followed links posted here for online courses in immunology, genetics, understanding research papers. They were all way beyond my capacity. But in the process I found this little beauty;). I've just watched the Intro and the first couple of vids. Small, bite-size segments to enhance learning, generally 4-8 minutes!:nerd:

The page in the link is headed Week 3, but all the lessons are available. Free.:thumbsup:

https://class.coursera.org/learning-001

Aileen

This looks good. I've taken (...er, started) several courses. On my second try at Immunology which starts today. Missed this little gem though. Will give it a try. I certainly could use the help in this area! :(

My one complaint. When did we become "learners" instead of students? I hate that term, it's like fingernails on a chalkboard!!! :aghhh:

@Kina Where is the best place to put these posts about online courses or various self-study type items? They really should be in one place but I never know where to post this stuff.

ahmo

Wow, I've just been checking out the Coursera classes. There's a whole list that I'm considering, learning without reading. Something new and exciting for me!
clapping-1303.gif
Thanks @Valentijn for the post that set me on this path.:hug:

ahmo

@Quokka I need a break from methylation...I'm going for the non-useful!:D I looked at the Gene course, it's just more than my brain can do at present. Or, more than I'm willing to push.:rolleyes:

I've signed up for Brief History of Humankind. Am considering How to Reason and Argue; Beauty, Form & Function: Exploration of Symmetry; The Dynamic Earth; Terrorism & Counter-Terrorism; Configuring the World: A Critical Political Economy; maybe Modern and Contemp American Poetry.

Probably will bypass a physiology course, as I've studied physiol a number of times and, like I say, need a bit of a treat for my brain, but you might check it out: https://www.coursera.org/course/humanphysio :thumbsup:

@ahmo, I've audited quite a few of their classes now and the short 10 min or less videos are well designed for the PWCFS. How to Reason And Argue was great, a bit of humour mixed in with language logic.

The Epigenetics course does require a fair bit of genetic knowledge to follow along fully but the animations of DNA all coiled up and wiggling around were great demonstrations of how it all works.

Best thing is, while my degree is in genetics, those subjects I've had no formal training in, I just let the bits I don't understand wash over me and there's no pressure to study like for an exam.

Not all Coursera courses are created equal though, it depends on the sparkling personality of the lecturer to make it easy to listen to. Got any recommendations for courses you've enjoyed?

ahmo

Hi @Quokka. Just now I clicked on to to sign up for the How to Reason. I wondered if it would be a bit too pedantic, so I'm really happy to read your assessment:thumbsup:

I watched the Intros to both the genetics and epigenetics, and just didn't feel I've got a great enough need for this depth of understanding to thrash my brain as hard as it would take. I've struggled mightily through every math and science course I've ever done, and I'm just at the edge of my capacity comprehending some of Freddd's posts!:lol: It makes me feel less impaired to read that you've got a background in genetics. Clearly there are others around here who are real science brains:nerd:

I watched a first segment of the Symmetry course. I quite like design and nature, but this one is officially a univ course, so I reckon I'll probably sample a few of the lectures, but not go the distance. What a treat to be able to do this!
And the only one I've actually watched in addition to the Learning is the History of Humanity. Just watched the first 1/2 hour. V interesting, presenting a perspective from out of Africa to the precipice we're on in the 21st century. I like the instructor. The others i mentioned above start in Sept, so I'll see then. And at Edex I'm going for Dante's Divine Comedy: if there's any chance of me getting anything out of this, here it is. And there's one on the American transcendentalist poets, which might be a treat.

It's brilliant to be able to turn away from a presenter who isn't inspiring! But I'm certainly faced with the limitations of my brain. Even just listening to a 1/2 hr. vid presentation can be quickly exhausting! Time for a break now. cheers:balloons:

PS Actually this has reminded me that I want to learn ukulele. I need to have both a relaxed brain and non-stressed arms at the same time. Any day now...maybe the learning about learning will give me the confidence to tackle this. I'm sure learning a musical instrument will be beneficial:whistle:

Last edited: