• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Layering in ancient teeth reveals history of vitamin D deficiency

drob31

Maybe from hiding in caves for protection, and then not getting sunlight, or going through ice age and not getting sunlight.

antares4141

Maybe from hiding in caves for protection, and then not getting sunlight, or going through ice age and not getting sunlight.
I'm thinking poor diet and other disease might predispose them to the deficiencies. You can only spend so much time in a cave. I thought the article interesting cause in the past I was always skeptical of cfs correlated to deficiencies. I'm not so sure anymore.

BruceInOz

I am left puzzled what their point is:
In a counterintuitive finding, scientists have discovered that levels of vitamin D deficiency in prehistoric Middle Eastern farming communities were four times lower than those of modern-day Greeks.

If D deficiency was 4 times lower then they were getting more D way back then, not less so why is that counterintuitive. They were outside more getting more sun so less deficiency as expected.

ETA: I guess maybe they were surprised there was any deficiency detected at all?

Ysabelle-S

Highly Vexatious

If D deficiency was 4 times lower then they were getting more D way back then, not less so why is that counterintuitive. They were outside more getting more sun so less deficiency as expected.

ETA: I guess maybe they were surprised there was any deficiency detected at all?

It does seem like an odd sentence.

antares4141

To me it makes sense to assume that modern civilization IE greeks in the era they mentioned would have more diversity in their diet and less deficiencies. But counter to what would be expected the opposite was true. Makes sense to me.