• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Lawsuit claims Fitbit devices dangerously underestimate heart rate

Ecoclimber

FYI: I know many on here use them and other heart monitoring devices

Lawsuit claims Fitbit devices dangerously underestimate heart rate

With some Fitbit devices, every beat may not get counted, according to claims in a proposed nationwide class action lawsuit filed Tuesday.

Three plaintiffs claim that their Fitbit wrist-based heart monitors, “Charge HR” and “Surge,” do not and cannot accurately measure heart rate as advertised. Those sales pitches claim that both products, which are sold for around $150 and $250, respectively, can continuously and accurately monitor heart rate, even during exercise—under tag lines such as “every beat counts.” But the lawsuit claims that the heart rate monitors, which tout “PurePulse Tracker” technology, seem particularly incapable of accurately measuring elevated heart rates, often reading dangerously underestimated rates during workouts...

...The lawsuit also states that a board-certified cardiologist compared the Fitbits’ heart rate measurements with those from an electrocardiogram (ECG). The doctor reportedly found that for heart rates above 110 bpm, the Fitbits were off by an average of 25 bpms, with some readings wrong by as much as 75 bpm....More:

halcyon

I had heard similar criticisms but got a Charge HR anyways. So far when I've compared it to a manual pulse reading as well as a BP machine, the Charge was pretty accurate. This was under resting conditions though.

valentinelynx

I find the FitBit's estimation of my resting heart rate is absurdly high. I have no idea what algorithm they are using, but I would think my resting heart rate would be close to what it is when I'm lying awake in bed, but the FitBit consistently calls it about 10 bpm higher.

Valentijn

My Alpha Mio matches up very well to my pulse oximeter, at least after "intense" activities like climbing the stairs or taking a shower. It's often about a second slower to change, and there are times when it has a longer lag if I'm active ... but it still catches up in 5-10 seconds.

I also might have problems with it at times due to low pulse pressure. But healthy people doing a workout shouldn't be having a weak pulse, so that shouldn't be a problem.