• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Laura Hillenbrand Interview on Face The Nation

Bob

I've only recently realised that the film directed by Angelina Jolie is the film of Laura's book. I'm a bit slow to catch on!

I originally assumed that 'Unbroken' was an autobiographical novel about living with ME.

Perhaps if Laura ever writes a book about ME, or an autobiography, it could be called 'Broken'? (Broken in body, if not in spirit.)

Last edited:

Mij

I'm planning to watch the video today. She mentions severe vertigo and I'm wondering if she talks about what types of treatments she's doing. anti-virals?

My onset was severe vertigo attack and for the following 5yrs I felt as though I was on a boat, I had constant swaying from side to side my head. I've also had many recurrent vertigo episodes over the last 23yrs- it's very disabling,

Sidereal

I'm planning to watch the video today. She mentions severe vertigo and I'm wondering if she talks about what types of treatments she's doing. anti-virals?

My onset was severe vertigo attack and for the following 5yrs I felt as though I was on a boat, I had constant swaying from side to side my head. I've also had many recurrent vertigo episodes over the last 23yrs- it's very disabling,

I have only experienced true vertigo for a week as a result of pantethine supplementation which cleared up once I stopped taking it but the experience was incredibly disconcerting and disabling. My heart goes out to all of you with this symptom.

I would also be curious to hear what treatments she's doing. She sounds like she is doing much better than when she wrote that New Yorker essay about ME. The recent NYT interview mentioned she was taking some new drugs but didn't say what.

Gingergrrl

I would also be curious to hear what treatments she's doing. She sounds like she is doing much better than when she wrote that New Yorker essay about ME. The recent NYT interview mentioned she was taking some new drugs but didn't say what.

@Sidereal I know, I am so curious what meds she is taking now!!! She is definitely doing better than she was in her essay for the New Yorker (which is wonderful for people who haven't read it yet.) I have never had vertigo but it seems like whatever she is doing, she is stronger overall b/c there was a long period that she was not able to do any interviews or promotion of her work. She was so ill, she had to sit vs. stand during her own wedding ceremony and had to miss the entire reception. I am so happy she is doing better and she has been really inspiring to me to watch.

ETA: As I was typing this post about vertigo, we just had an earthquake in LA which shook the entire room. Very weird timing!

dannybex

I'm curious if part of her improvement was due to moving out of that old house she was in for 20-25 years. Could've possibly had a lot of mold/mycotoxin issues?

Sidereal

I'm curious if part of her improvement was due to moving out of that old house she was in for 20-25 years. Could've possibly had a lot of mold/mycotoxin issues?

Possibly, though based on the articles she's written in the past and interviews she's given over the years, she was dreadfully ill long before she moved into that house.