• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Laura Hillenbrand in Elle, on CFS

JAH

In my second Laura Hillenbrand mention this week on PR (and I'm not her publicist, or stalker), check out her article in Elle, where she talks movingly about her work and struggles with CFS,

http://www.elle.com/beauty/health-f...drome-a-celebrated-authors-untold-tale-517101

Edit: thought this was new when I posted, but is was published in 2010 - sorry if you thought this was a new article (as I did!). Still relevant, touching, revealing...

Last edited:

Gingergrrl

@JAH I just read the article and it is beautifully written and thank you for sharing it. I am so proud of Laura and all she has accomplished while being so ill. She is truly one of my heroes and I look forward to seeing her new movie some day.

Misfit Toy

An old article. She is so inspirational for me. We are the same age. Got sick the same time (year) and her husband .....BF from college stuck with her whereas mine of 7 years all through HS and college left due to my illness and I was not as ill as she. Anyway, she gives me such hope. And, I also love the band, The Smith's, just like her.

JAH

An old article. She is so inspirational for me. We are the same age. Got sick the same time (year) and her husband .....BF from college stuck with her whereas mine of 7 years all through HS and college left due to my illness and I was not as ill as she. Anyway, she gives me such hope. And, I also love the band, The Smith's, just like her.

It is old! Was posted on twitter today and I thought it was a new one...oh well. I got sick in spring of 1987 as well, so like you I have always related to her, and appreciate her, J

Gingergrrl

@JAH, I thought it was a new article, too, and had no idea! I was going to look for the magazine on the news stand LOL.

Wayne

Silver lining to everything, right? With brainfog, things that are old have a good chance of seeming new and fresh, whether re-reading or re-watching. I've watched movies, and in the following day or two, it dawns on me that I had actually watched it before. Pretty amazing. o_O:rolleyes: -- @JAH, thanks for posting. I'll look forward to reading it, either for the first time--or not. It'll seem fresh either way. ;)

JAM

Jill
Well, that brought on the water works. What an amazing article. Shows the horror of the disease, a woman who works through it, doesn't glorify it, or make her out to be a martyr. Thank you so much for sharing.

JAM

Jill
It's disappointing that Lauren HIlldebrand is a supporter of Solve CFS/ME. They a part of concerted effort to bury CFS patients even further with their support of the IOM and P2P.
Can you point me in the direction of some info on this? I'm just now getting to the point where I can study the politics of the disease. Thanks!

Gingergrrl

It's disappointing that Lauren HIlldebrand is a supporter of Solve CFS/ME. They a part of concerted effort to bury CFS patients even further with their support of the IOM and P2P.

Maybe she does not know and some of these charities sound great on the surface until you research them more. By just hearing the names, I also do not know which are the good ones versus bad ones. Laura may be so focused on writing her books while being so ill, that she may not know. I cannot imagine any scenario where she would knowingly support a charity that would harm our cause.

Can you point me in the direction of some info on this? I'm just now getting to the point where I can study the politics of the disease. Thanks!
The CAA, formerly know as CFIDS Assoc, helped Wm Reeves of the CDC attain whistleblower status. Also, the CAA doesn't even refer to our illness by its proper name, CFIDS.

Snow Leopard

Hibernating

While you could study the politics of the disease, would you want to?

I prefer to stay out of it. Yes, not all groups see eye to eye, but it is better to have more eyes than less.

JAM

Jill
While you could study the politics of the disease, would you want to?

I prefer to stay out of it. Yes, not all groups see eye to eye, but it is better to have more eyes than less.
I am very involved in community activism and politics is a big part of that. I enjoy it, even though it sometimes infuriates me. If we don't get involved we won't like the decisions made for us.

Snow Leopard

Hibernating
I am very involved in community activism and politics is a big part of that. I enjoy it, even though it sometimes infuriates me. If we don't get involved we won't like the decisions made for us.

That's not quite what I meant.
Studying the politics is not the same thing as going out and speaking with your own voice (and ignoring the games that others are playing).

Maybe she does not know and some of these charities sound great on the surface until you research them more. By just hearing the names, I also do not know which are the good ones versus bad ones. Laura may be so focused on writing her books while being so ill, that she may not know. I cannot imagine any scenario where she would knowingly support a charity that would harm our cause.
I would trust the National CFIDS Association to be our voice, instead of Solve CFS, which self appointed themselves to speak for us. At least in my opinion.

JAM

Jill
That's not quite what I meant.
Studying the politics is not the same thing as going out and speaking with your own voice (and ignoring the games that others are playing).
I meant literally studying the politics. I'm a graduate student who means "study" as a deep process of understanding the theories and practices behind the actions in a specific sphere. I think speaking before understanding the politics would be inefficient at best.