• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Latest update from Judy and Annette

Wayne

This probably was already posted, but I cant see where. It's the latest interview and it is going to help me sleep tonite!

Here's a link to the transcription

Thanks for posting this Oipemowell. I thought it was an excellent interview. It touches on science, politics, discoveries of how XMRV is affecting the immune system, what may be in store for us in 2011, and more. At the 5:30 mark, the interviewer made a comment about what a big discovery XMRV is, and "right here in Reno"; as in little Reno, NV, of all places. I think this touches on a very important point.

Can you imagine how galling it must be for "some" medical researchers working at some of the most prestigious research centers in the world, to have some potential ground breaking discoveries coming out of little WPI out of little Reno, NV? Let's face it, while most people probably go into a certain profession to help other people, others do so for the prestige (and wealth) they may garner for themselves. And if they can't garner this for themselves, but see others receiving what they were seeking, jealousy can set in leading to all kinds of nefarious activities on their parts. Reminds me of an Aesops's fable I ran across recently:

The smaller the mind, the greater the conceit.

I think that sums up so much of the ME/CFS politics of the past couple days, and also since the publication of the WPI XMRV article back in September '09. Doesn't shine a very good light on some of the shady aspects of the medical research world.

Best, Wayne

Tia

Here's a link to the transcription

Thanks for posting this Oipemowell. I thought it was an excellent interview. It touches on science, politics, discoveries of how XMRV is affecting the immune system, what may be in store for us in 2011, and more. At the 5:30 mark, the interviewer made a comment about what a big discovery XMRV is, and "right here in Reno"; as in little Reno, NV, of all places. I think this touches on a very important point.

Can you imagine how galling it must be for "some" medical researchers working at some of the most prestigious research centers in the world, to have some potential ground breaking discoveries coming out of little WPI out of little Reno, NV? Let's face it, while most people probably go into a certain profession to help other people, others do so for the prestige (and wealth) they may garner for themselves. And if they can't garner this for themselves, but see others receiving what they were seeking, jealousy can set in leading to all kinds of nefarious activities on their parts. Reminds me of an Aesops's fable I ran across recently:

The smaller the mind, the greater the conceit.

I think that sums up so much of the ME/CFS politics of the past couple days, and also since the publication of the WPI XMRV article back in September '09. Doesn't shine a very good light on some of the shady aspects of the medical research world.

Best, Wayne

Couldn't agree more! There will be sour faces about this. I hope these two get the Noble price for this discovery. <3