• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Latest research confirming oxidative stress in ME/CFS.

Gamboa

Not something we didn't already know but it's always good to have confirmation. :thumbsup:

Med Sci Monit. 2011 Apr 1;17(4):SC11-15.

Increased plasma peroxides as a marker of oxidative stress in myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS).

Maes M, Kubera M, Uytterhoeven M, Vrydags N, Bosmans E.

Maes Clinics@TRIA, Thailand.

Abstract

Background: There is evidence that myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) is characterized by activation of immune, inflammatory, oxidative and nitrosative stress (IO&NS) pathways.

The present study was carried out in order to examine whether ME/CFS is accompanied by increased levels of plasma peroxides and serum oxidized LDL (oxLDL) antibodies, two biomarkers of oxidative stress.

Material/Methods: Blood was collected from 56 patients with ME/CFS and 37 normal volunteers. Severity of ME/CFS was measured using the Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (FF) Rating Scale.

Results: Plasma peroxide concentrations were significantly higher in patients with ME/CFS than in normal controls. There was a trend towards significantly higher serum oxLDL antibodies in ME/CFS than in controls. Both biomarkers contributed significantly in discriminating between patients with ME/CFS and normal controls. Plasma peroxide and serum oxLDL antibody levels were both significantly related to one of the FF symptoms.

Conclusions: The results show that ME/CFS is characterized by increased oxidative stress.

ramakentesh

One of the major primary causes of POTS in patients - reduced catabolism of angiotensin II - results in part in increase oxidisive stress among other abnormalities. WOrth getting checked out for all CFS patients with POTS symptoms. Elevated angiotensin II levels = POTS

oceanblue

They found an effect but it's pretty weak and as they say you couldn't use these findings to reliably discriminate between ME/CFS and controls because the correlation is too small. Interesting, but less than conclusive.