• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Lancet: KCL- Mortality of people with CFS: a retrospective cohort study (extra suicide risk)

Dolphin

Some in ME/CFS field incl some proponents of CBT +/or GET actually recommend against giving patients much support :(
Nor would I like to depend on them finding effective disease-modifying treatments or cures. :(

Consequently, while we should diagnose and treat mood disorders appropriately, I see them as only one stopgap measure in preventing suicide in ME/CFS. Other stopgap measures include managing symptoms to the best of our ability and addressing the unmet social needs of patients, whether they be concrete, like providing written support for food/ housing benefits, or more abstract, reinforcing the validity of patients’ experiences with their family present or referring them to a support group to decrease social isolation. We can also work on increasing research funding and providing more accurate information to healthcare providers to give patients some degree of hope for a better future. Ultimately the best way to prevent suicide in ME/CFS will be to find effective disease-modifying treatments or cures for it.

Valentijn

Interesting perhaps that 3 of the 4 cases with M.E. were male. Most M.E. sufferers are female, aren't they?
It might be due to the greater social condemnation for a man with a "psychosomatic" disease which is supposed to mostly hit women. And the social expectation that men be employed and have an income, when women tend to get a little more slack in that regard.