Phoenix Rising: The Gift That Keeps on Giving All Year Long
This holiday season Jody Smith turns her eyes to the people of Phoenix Rising and gives thanks for you all ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Lambert-Eaton Myasthenic Syndrome (LEMS) Confirmed!

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by crypt0cu1t, Jul 6, 2018.

1. crypt0cu1t

crypt0cu1t Twitter: @skagginwagon

California
    Hey guys as you all know, I have tested positive for AChR Binding Antibodies, Salivary Protein 1 antibodoes, elevated ESR, elevated CRP.

Dr. Chheda suggested to me that my symptoms seem to almost line up with a disorder called LEMS, so she suggested I see a rheumatologist and neurologist to confirm the diagnosis.

After seeing both doctors they confirmed the LEMS diagnosis and said it is very likely that I have an early form of sjogrens as well.

This is great news for me as it means that I have a strong case to pursue possible treatments like IVIG, PP and RTX.

I'm still not out of the woods yet. I still have to wait for an upright MRI to check for chiari/CCI and see if my cyst needs to be removed, but I just wanted to update everyone!

Also want to thank @SK2018 for going over PP and RTX in a phone call to clarify some things for me!

@Learner1 @Gingergrrl Is it possible that I never had ME/CFS and it was just autoimmune the whole time?

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
    Jackb23, Lalia, Gingergrrl and 18 others like this.
  2. Mary

Mary Forum Support Assistant

Southern California
    I'm so glad you've gotten a diagnosis which can lead to appropriate treatment! :thumbsup:

I'm not an expert but I think it's very likely you may have been dealing with an autoimmune condition and not ME/CFS, though @Learner1 and @Gingergrrl are more knowledgeable about this than me --

Gingergrrl, lafarfelue, Sushi and 2 others like this.
  3. Forçe e Honra

Forçe e Honra Senior Member

Northern California
    @crypt0cu1t - This is great news I am so happy that you have treatment options!

Gingergrrl, lafarfelue, Mary and 2 others like this.
  4. TenuousGrip

TenuousGrip Senior Member

How many places could you come and have people cheering for/with you because you found out that you're sick ? :)

We all know we're sick. Getting a diagnosis that drives a safe, effective course of treatment is huge. Epic.

I'm really happy for you ... particularly knowing how low you've been.

Reset the clock ... if you know what I mean. Your journey starts anew now.

And may it be all onward and upward from here.

Yours is another shining example of why I constantly tell people not to ever give up on refining their diagnosis. I truly believe ME/CFS is just a cluster of symptoms that represents one or three or 20 or 100 different illnesses -- many of which are very rare, some of which haven't yet been discovered.

All the best !

Jackb23, Lalia, Kenshin and 10 others like this.
  5. Learner1

Learner1 Forum Support Assistant

Pacific Northwest
    ME/CFS is just a set of symptoms. Many of us have a lot of different diagnoses as well.

Glad you found something that's treatable!

Likely so...

Sancar, Gingergrrl, Sidny and 6 others like this.
  6. crypt0cu1t

California
    I mean I'm still not out of the dark yet and it doesn't explain all my symptoms (Visual Snow, Severe mental fatigue) but it explains all of the physical symptoms for sure!

Something that still worries me is the sugar cravings. If I go 3 hours without food I start trembling.

7. crypt0cu1t

California
    Thanks!

Forçe e Honra and alkt like this.
  8. crypt0cu1t

California
    I completely agree! While this doesnt explain every symptom. It means that its very likely I could have some undiscovered antibodoes causing symptons as well!

9. TenuousGrip

You might find this interesting:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25993122

10. crypt0cu1t

California
    Forçe e Honra and alkt like this.
  11. TenuousGrip

https://rarediseases.info.nih.gov/diseases/6851/lambert-eaton-myasthenic-syndrome

Fatigue doesn't always cause/mean cognitive dysfunction but it definitely can contribute.

12. Dakota15

Dakota15

Midwest, USA
    Happy about this news for you @crypt0cu1t ! Definitely keep us updated if any of the treatment provides relief for you and I'll definitely be cheering for you.

Just curious, with your symptoms do you also suffer from POTS/OI or no?

13. crypt0cu1t

California
    I never have been too sure, my vision occasionally blacks out when standing I get super dizzy when standing so maybe?

Forçe e Honra, Sushi and alkt like this.
  14. crypt0cu1t

California
    What exactly makes you think this? Im just curious if I was dealing with autoimmunity the whole time or if the autoimmunity is a consequence of MECFS

Hopefully im making sense

Gingergrrl, Forçe e Honra and alkt like this.
  15. Mary

Southern California
    You're making sense. ;) I just have not heard of autoimmunity being a consequence of ME/CFS. There are people with autoimmune conditions who do have ME/CFS but I don't think ME/CFS causes autoimmune conditions. Of course you could have both but I go with the most obvious explanation first. You've been given a rather solid diagnosis of LEMS, and I read that LEMS is rather rare, so I just think the odds are that it is the cause of your symptoms. I'm afraid I cannot get any more scientific than that, but hopefully someone else here can! :nerd:

16. crypt0cu1t

California
    Thanks for the reply! I feel relieved to have a possible path of treatment to pursue but part of me still feels like "what if the IVIG doesn't work?" Partly because I have been let down so many times by different treatments. The only one that has even come close to having an effect is curcumin and LDN.

Gingergrrl and Forçe e Honra like this.
  17. Mary

Southern California
    Hi @crypt0cu1t - I suggest you take one thing at a time. Don't worry about what if this or that. I've tried dozens of things over many years and each time I come to an apparent dead end and think, oh there's nothing left, I've tried everything, I come across something I haven't tried yet, and I have made progress that way

I'm fortunate that my brain is curious. If one thing doesn't work, instead of feeling hopeless, it wants to figure out why and try something else. I love detective stories so that may be part of it! ;)

Keep us posted how you do - you may be a trailblazer like @Gingergrrl has been!

18. crypt0cu1t

California
    I will definitely keep everyone updated, thanks for answering my questions btw!

Forçe e Honra and Mary like this.
  19. lafarfelue

lafarfelue Senior Member

Australia
    Congratulations on receiving a tangible diagnosis! That's fantastic.

Will be thinking of you for the remaining MRI etc, and keep an eye out for your next update(s). Wishing you continued positive action/assistance!

20. kangaSue

kangaSue Senior Member

Brisbane, Australia
    Were you tested for P/Q and N type voltage-gated calcium channel antibodies too then? LEMS can have a particularly nasty bite in involving a paraneoplastic syndrome in some patients and these antibodies are often found in relation to having small cell lung cancer too so a chest x-ray and possibly a PET scan should be on the cards also if you have been sick with this for less than 5 years.

Gingergrrl and Forçe e Honra like this.

See more popular forum discussions.