• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Kratom?

belize44

The last time my husband took it with grapefruit juice, he felt kind of crappy, so he doesn't combine them anymore. Have you tried taking it with just water?

He also takes it on an empty stomach (5-6 hours after eating) and then eats 1 hour after taking it. If he takes it with food, it doesn't work at all.
At first I would take it with food and it wouldn't work, so then I started using it before eating. It did seem to work best on an empty stomach for me, although I think it makes some people feel sick if they do this. I have tried it with just water, so I am not sure what is going on. I am going to space out the days so that I am not taking it too often.

leela

Yes, I am one who does better taking it with food at the time of dosing.
I have heard from others though that if it brings on nausea, eat something--even though that seems counterintuitive--
and that will ease it.

belize44

I just hope that I can take it again soon, because I had a hellish day on Friday in which I had to exert myself more than I was expecting to, so I know that there will be the usual three day delay, then it will all catch up to me. :rolleyes:

Basilico

Florida
I have heard from others though that if it brings on nausea, eat something--even though that seems counterintuitive--
and that will ease it.

He drinks a small amount of Reed's ginger ale in the times when it gives him a bit of nausea, which seems to work well. I think the sugar in the ginger ale also potentiates the Kratom, too. When he was eating low carb, Kratom would not work at all, but after increasing carbs, it started working again. A very strange plant!

belize44

@Basilico: That might explain part of the problem, because my new doctor has me on a no carb/low carb diet right now. So maybe this is why the Kratom is not as effective as before! H'mmm...

Basilico

Florida
@belize44 , I bet you low carb diet does have something to do with it. Did you happen to notice if the change in how Kratom was working coincided with reducing carbs? I have a feeling that if/when you increase your carbs, it will probably start working much better. I don't understand why, but there seems to be a connection.

belize44

I am pretty sure that this is the case, Basilico! I did notice this when I started the diet. I have added back sprouted grain bread and air popped popcorn so I will try it again soon.

frozenborderline

Very interesting, @panckage.

What type of kratom are you using: white vein, red vein or green vein kratom?

I tried kratom myself not so long ago (3 grams of Thai white vein kratom made as a tea), but noticed no effects. However, I need to experiment with different dose levels.

There is the odd report or two online of ME/CFS patients getting good results with kratom:

The Main Active Ingredients in Kratom Are:

Mitragynine (plus its metabolite mitragynine-pseudoindoxyl) which are agonists of the mu-opioid receptor and delta-opioid receptor. Mitragynine also has effects on adenosine, alpha adrenergic and serotonin receptors. Ref: 1

7-hydroxymitragynine which agonises mu, delta and kappa opioid receptors.

Kratom and mitragynine have different effects depending on whether taken at low or higher doses:

However, as to the biochemistry behind these low or high dose levels, different sources say slightly different things:

Kratom Dosage Guidelines:

Some other kratom dosage guidelines:

White Vein, Red Vein And Green Vein Kratom:

As well as the kratom dose level, the type of kratom you buy (white vein, red vein or green vein) has a bearing on the effects you will experience:

Red vein kratom tends to have higher levels of 7-hydroxymitragynine than white vein. Ref: 1

Delta-Opioid Receptor Agonism Seems to Provide Neuroprotective Effects:

This study found that delta-opioid receptor agonism, but not mu-opioid nor kappa-opioid receptor agonism, protects neocortical neurons from glutamate-induced excitotoxic injury. See also this study. This neuroprotection from glutamate induced injury seems to be mediated by the inhibitory effect of delta-opioid receptor agonism on NMDA receptor activation. Ref: 1

Mitragynine co-administrion with morphine seems to mitigate the tolerance build-up with chronic morphine treatment. Ref: 1 2 So this kratom ingredient has the potential for treating drug addiction.

These neuroprotective effects of delta-opioid receptor activation suggest that for ME/CFS purposes, it is the lower dose range of kratom (which some websites say activate delta-opioid receptors) that may work best. The low dose range of kratom is also energizing, which is presumably what you want in ME/CFS.

Delta-Opioid Receptor Agonism May Treat Pain Without Addictive Effects:

Targeting delta opioid receptor may reduce pain without causing addiction

Interesting Kratom Websites:

Kratom-World
The Kratom Bible - A Complete Guide to Kratom | Enso Botanicals
Have you tried kratom since? Herbal salvations is the best I know of. It has dramatically good effects for me but even red strains tend to disrupt sleep. I’m bedridden though so that’s not that big a deal

hmnr asg

I tried kratom recently and I found that for a few hours it really diminishes my cognitive fog and fatigue . It is a bit dangerous because I ended up crashing myself after the energy boost made me forget my limitations for the millionth time.

Also I'm very careful about becoming dependent so I don't take it more than three times a week.

And as you all know the DEA can't wait to ban it in all states even though it has helped so many people get off opioids.

jesse's mom

I tried it in the capsules several years ago and it did not do much for me. My friends who were making tea from it were getting more benefit.

frozenborderline

I tried it in the capsules several years ago and it did not do much for me. My friends who were making tea from it were getting more benefit.
Herbal salvation has very good kratom. i normally do “toss and wash”. Kratom is one of those things where the quality varies greatly between different sources. If you’ve never gotten an effect you may not have tried good kratom. It can get pretty strong

hmnr asg

I buy mine from happyhippoherbals and theyre supposed to be a high end vendor but the prices are a bit high. The one strain that really helps me is the green maeng da.

frozenborderline

I had been doing kratom way before I was sick just for mood and fun. It was always one of my favorite drugs. Herbal salvation was always insanely consistent quality for good prices. They have a very low key looking site but lots of different strains. I tried more expensive vendors like Gaia botanicals and herbal salvation was always the best. Kratom messes with my sleep now Bc I’m in such a fragile state so I can’t do it daily but I really think it’s good to keep around for mental health or pain emergencies. Y quality of life is so low that I can’t stand it most of the time and so I’ve decided to stock up on kratom in case it gets banned

frozenborderline

From herbal salvation I recommend the yellow Vietnam and the red Sumatra or any red strains really. I used to like the white veins and more stimulating strains but am more sensitive to that stuff since being sick