• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

King of Bitters

hey all,

I'd like to share a story on how I managed to sleep last night. That may not sound impressive but please bear in mind I hadn't slept-slept in over a week.

I've had CFS type issues, mainly a sleep disorder since I had an active EBV infection in mid 2012. It was manageable only with high dose melatonin (30mg) and zopiclone (7.5 mg). Over the past few months my sleep has gotten worse and worse but was still manageable. But I've also started having other symptoms I'm worried are autoimmune in nature--noticable loss of muscle and collagen, wounds that never heal, skin lesions, hoarseness. Then finally a cough that wouldn't go away, chest pains, headaches, dizziness, debiltating fatigue.I wound up in ER, they didn't do much for me. Currently awaiting ANA test and biopsy of skin lesions.

In the meantime my sleep has become non existent. Worst of all, melatonin now seems to aggravate my symptoms including insomnia. If I had to guess, and I do, I'd say I've both taxed and overstimulated my immune system over the past several years, and whatever low grade autoimmunity I've had has either gotten worse or blown up into a more serious illness. The past few weeks I've been an absolute wreck.

I've tried every herbal remedy you can think of. Then yesterday I happened upon King of Bitters. I read it's useful in modulating (as opposed to stimulating) the immune response. As such it is useful in AI conditions like lupus and RA. It's too soon to say if it works. What I can tell you is, last night I slept. I felt a semi-normal onset of sleep around 11pm. I took 20 mg of melatonin and didn't feel off. Took my zopiclone then boom, I was out. Probably got 6 hours, which as of late is a lot for me.

I'll report back in a few days' time and let you know if I'm continuing to sleep. But this feels like the closest to a miracle remedy I can wrap my sleep deprived head around.

I read up on this supplement a little today and I'm going to go ahead and order some. Even if it doesn't help me with CFS symptoms, it's apparently an effective treatment for symptoms of the common cold.