• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Keep Waking Up and Fragmented Sleep

@Wishful Exercise creates adrenaline and will definitely NOT make you fall asleep. But I bet a chocolate with nuts will.. or a warm glass of milk.
From my own experience I can tell that Sugary foods helped me to sleep. This thing happens usually 30-60 minutes after I had a meal. That's the time interval in which the Glycemic Peak takes place (the highest levels of sugar in the body). After 60-90 minutes, insomnia appears quick because of low sugar levels.
But if you manage to stop eating sugary foods and have your Glycemia on a constant level, that will be Perfect!
I think this is the key to having a good sleep on long-term, rather than taking pills.
If anyone is interested, I suggest Michel Montignac's book on how to lose weight (a French nutritionist). He explains that lack of sleep (insomnia) and gaining weight are related. He also explains why.

Anyway, pepperoni sticks are great for a midnight snacko_O:eek: I guess... I WANT ONE NOW~~~~~

Wishful

I used to do evening walks, and they didn't affect my ability to sleep. However, this year, evening walks do seem to make insomnia more frequent. My eating patterns haven't changed, so I'm ascribing the change to ageing or just ME variability.

Switching my meat-meal from afternoon to before bedtime did not make me sleep better. I think high-fibre (oats) plus extra fat may have helped the previous night. More experimentation required...

gbells

Improved ME from 2 to 6
Cfs has stage 4 issues. I have been on and off trazadone ( stage 4 inducer) for a while. Best thing that ever happen to me so I can function better.

Interesting. I found curcumin (Long Vida) very helpful in boosting immunity (herxheimer reaction) and increasing quality of sleep also. A time release form would be best for longer coverage.

Wishful

I found a new thing that triggers my insomnia: having a shrew run across my arm at 4 AM. They're not bad little creatures, but it still induced enough adrenaline to wake me and trigger the inability to fall asleep again. A few days before that, I had a dream about getting angry at trespassers, which again I assume released adrenaline and thus insomnia.

Wolfcub

I found a new thing that triggers my insomnia: having a shrew run across my arm at 4 AM. They're not bad little creatures, but it still induced enough adrenaline to wake me and trigger the inability to fall asleep again. A few days before that, I had a dream about getting angry at trespassers, which again I assume released adrenaline and thus insomnia.
A shrew! Awww! One came into my house last year sometime. They are nice. But yes, running over your arm in the night would make you jump! It completely figures that anything that spikes adrenaline is going to trigger insomnia.
I had a really very bad dream just over a week ago, and for sure I had high adrenaline. No chance of getting any more sleep that night.