• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

KCL education module on medically unexplained symptoms

alex3619

I hope some budding medical historians are paying attention to this saga, coz there is rich pickings, more than enough upon which to build a few solid careers.

If not now, then in coming generations. I have commented on this before. The legacy of these people will not be good, and history will judge them unfavourably.

The age of reason never really happened.

sarah darwins

I clicked on one of the modules regarding "Goal Setting" and it showed a staged interview - a doctor "helping" a patient with his sleep problems, and get this, the patient works at a pub in the evening and drinks alcohol regularly.

If we ever needed proof that these people are just making it up and know nothing about the illness we have, there it is.

This is medical fraud, plain and simple.

(p.s. thank you for watching that for us — I can't face it)

I find this really worrying. The video i have seen before, I thought they would have archived as they let slip their true beliefs. The bit where Trudie Chalder says "patients think there is something in the cupboard as yet undiscovered, in my mind that is silly". Or something on those lines.

This video is available for drs to watch who are told about the illness and in their eyes an expert on CFS. The drs are feed misinformation reinforcing the idea that there is nothing in the cupboard undiscovered and patients just need cbt.

And then there are all those handouts for people to download about the NICE guidelines etc etc. This has got to stop.

This makes me really angry as there is no balance.

eafw

Some of those videos have been around for a while, but for anyone who hasn't seen them before I'd say it's worth watching to understand how GPs and other practitioners really see us - based on the propoganda pushed by the BPS school

http://www.veoh.com/watch/v19931844B5PjTrh4

about 20 mins long

sarah darwins

Some of those videos have been around for a while, but for anyone who hasn't seen them before I'd say it's worth watching to understand how GPs and other practitioners really see us - based on the propoganda pushed by the BPS school

about 20 mins long

I know what you mean, but those videos should definitely come with a health warning for anyone here. I did start watching a couple of them early last year but literally had to stop. I don't have words for how they made me feel.

eafw

I know what you mean, but those videos should definitely come with a health warning for anyone here. I did start watching a couple of them early last year but literally had to stop. I don't have words for how they made me feel.

Mostly I just feel complete and utter contempt for these people and what they have done to us, they are despicable.

biophile

Places I'd rather be.
They love their acronyms. Here's one I prepared:

Stop assuming that you automatically know better than patients who live with it.
Try not to see yourself as enlightened beings imposing truth on naive children.
Openly welcome critical thinking and reasonable critique (you may be wrong).
Prepare to admit that your working model is more art than science.
Interpret symptoms of patients with more acceptance for their reality.
Transition yourself into a supportive role without hints of patronisation.

A.B.

about 20 mins long

Chalder says the idea that patients have some unidentified illness is silly.

She also says that CFS is not all in the mind but I find these two statements rather hard to reconcile.

I wonder if she would call the Rituximab research silly?

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits

Watching the video made me feel like throwing something at the computer screen....:devil:
OR the way I might feel if I put my finger down my throat :vomit:

Chalder came across as someone who has learned how to build a career totally based on spin, not on empathizing with or trying to understand patients, and it's scary that this is allowed to happen.

A better title to these videos would be "How to be Dismissive with your Patients and Totally Get Away with it.." They show another staged video where a doctor interviews a patient and goes over their activity diary or sleep diary, and nitpicks it apart, apparently showing how blaming the patient gets you off the hook for any responsibility towards treating the patient.

James Coyne is a psychologist; he would have flames shooting out of his ears and eyes if he ever saw these. He could write another chapter on "Dismissive Attitudes of British Psychiatrists." Anyone, please feel free to let him know these videos exist. They are linked to the modules in the first post of this thread, the ones that are titled "Goal Setting." I'd do more, but I've had a long day and verbal skills at the computer are on short supply.

sarah darwins

Watching the video made me feel like throwing something at the computer screen....:devil:
OR the way I might feel if I put my finger down my throat :vomit:

I’ve been giving a bit more thought to what those videos made me feel. It’s something easily mistaken for anger, or outrage, or hurt, or a combination of those things, but I think it’s more specific than that. It’s the sort of feeling you would get if someone close to you, someone in whom you had placed great trust, utterly betrayed you.

My sense of betrayal was the result of confusing these people with doctors. But they’re not, are they. Their primary allegiance is not to healing, it's to theory. These are not doctors.

K22

This is happening this year? I found the slides interesting - I'd always wondered what was meant as the supposed "social side" (BPS) of my illness. It's astonishing this is still happening as if it's 1993.
My concern with it being for Drs within a general hospital setting is its impact on the severely affected who are most likely to be the ones ending up in A & E with severe symptoms (which won't often show up on the scans) or hospitalised for other reasons & very vulnerable. I recall the case of a severely ill lady , a few years back, in hospital for cardiac investigation being shouted at to get out of bed as there was nothing wrong with her.
This is NOT the type of education for better care most of us are calling for.

Woolie

They love their acronyms. Here's one I prepared:

Stop assuming that you automatically know better than patients who live with it.
Try not to see yourself as enlightened beings imposing truth on naive children.
Openly welcome critical thinking and reasonable critique (you may be wrong).
Prepare to admit that your working model is more art than science.
Interpret symptoms of patients with more acceptance for their reality.
Transition yourself into a supportive role without hints of patronisation.
Utterly hilarious, @biophile - like x 100!