• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Just got the NEWS, Devastated

ukxmrv

It could be another virus Jen or it may be that there are different ones in different people.

For those of us who have been fighting for 20-30 years with no luck or improvement we need these new ideas (like XMRV) and new drugs (like the ARV's).

taniaaust1

From being happy and hopeful about XMRV and WPI I have passed to have bad feelings about them for this sort of things. Why are they offering the test (and spending a lot of money) when nothing is yet proven. The positive ones feel devastated... and so do the negatives... and all for no reason because it means nothing yet. What is the point of this?

They offered the test as they want to help those with ME as soon as possible.

Everyone knew it wasnt an "approved" test and that things were still in the process of being proven. I dont see how anyone can blame the WPI as they were always trying to do what is best for us and they clearly believed in their "unproven" test.

Those who got themselves emotionally invested in something unproven which everyone knew was unproven.. are now angry and wanting to blame instead of trying to be grateful that there are those out there who wish to help us ASAP and trying to do all they can to do that.

I sometimes feel annoyed at this community for trying to blame their own choices when they turn out to be maybe not the best ones on others, (esp blaming those who do have their hearts in the right place when it comes to us). Nothing was ever hidden with all this. Everyone knew testing was controversial (not proven as yet) and the tests werent standarditsed or properly recognised.

Taking unapproved tests is gambling. It could of been a good gamble or a bad one.. all depended on how it turned out. Lots of people gambled. Maybe people shouldnt gamble if they arent prepared for any outcome. (There is nothing at all wrong with gambling but I cant see how people can be crying things arent right or blaming when they do).

(ankup dont take my post as solely directed at you as it isnt directed at anyone in particular.. Im just sick of hearing so many different people complain for own choices which turned out possibly bad choices .. no self responsiblity.
The situation is no different from someone who chooses to do an "experiemental" ME/CFS treatment but then goes and gets mad as it dont work).