• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Jan 15: 9am PST/noon EST/5pm UK: Webinar by Dr David Patrick (UBC Complex Chronic Disease Study)

Dolphin

(Starts in less than one hour)

<http://spph.ubc.ca/seminar-series/grand-rounds/details/>

Grand Round Details
Date: January 15, 2015, 9:00 am
Location: Room B151, School of Population and Public Health (SPPH)

How do you research a syndrome of an unknown cause?: Lessons from the UBC Complex Chronic Disease Study
David Patrick, Professor and Director, SPPH

Abstract
How Do You Research a Syndrome?
What causes Chronic Fatigue Syndrome / Myalgic Encephalomyelitis and similar disorders? The UBC Complex Chronic Disease Study is a multi-disciplinary effort to generate new hypotheses by marrying epidemiological study design with new laboratory discovery platforms.

Dr. Patrick will discuss current progress on the study, what we are learning about associated disability and the nature of analyses underway. The discussion will conclude with some thoughts about how to accelerate discovery for ME/CFS and other illnesses in the future.

Speaker
Dr. David Patrick is an Infectious Disease Physician and Epidemiologist, Professor and Director at the UBC School of Population and Public Health, and Medical Epidemiology Lead for Antimicrobial Resistance at the British Columbia Centre for Disease Control. His current foci include efforts to track and control antimicrobial resistance at population level and the establishment of efforts to study the role of microorganisms and host gene expression in idiopathic chronic diseases.

A.B.

I watched it and it was interesting. Dr Patrick talked about an ongoing study comparing CFS, alternatively diagnosed lyme disease, and systemic lupus. At some point a slide was shown where CFS patient antibodies formed several clusters in a specific test. It was complicated and I didn't understand much but there are patterns. Dr Patrick then mentioned the Rituximab research and said they have acquired samples from Fluge and Mella to repeat the test with.

It was also good to hear that CFS has attracted the attention of the US government due to the economic burden and the number of patients (paraphrasing). So at least some people higher up realise there's a big problem that needs to be confronted.

Last edited:

Gemini

OK, so I expect I missed that - was it any good?

Interesting introduction to new technologies--metagenomics, immunosignatures, etc. applied to a small sample of 25 ME/CFS patients, healthy controls, a Lupus cohort, and alternative Lyme patients.

Canadian researchers collaborating with others worldwide, ie, Fluge/Mella in Norway, Arizona State Univ. among others and acknowledging the Lipkin/Horning work was heartening to hear.

Appreciate your posting it @Dolphin.

Would like to view it again, lots of detail there, so hope it goes up on You Tube.

Gemini

Dr Patrick talked about an ongoing study comparing CFS, alternatively diagnosed lyme disease, and systemic lupus..

Thanks @A.B. for summarizing the talk. My notes are sketchy I'm afraid.

Dr. Patrick referred to published papers. Wonder if he meant these from 2015?

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26082507/

I believe he said their testing-- of blood-- revealed no differences between patients & controls regards viruses, bacteria, & cytokines. And he'd like to expand testing to hair, nails, stabilized RNA and stool in the future.

I agree their 2-day exercise test Transcriptomics Study sounds very interesting. Am anxious to hear its results. Perhaps it builds on this work:

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25990639/

I liked the way Dr. Patrick listed the new technologies first noting their strengths & weaknesses.He alluded to several points made in this 2013 paper

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24273702/

Dr. Patrick did an excellent job presenting a review & status of their ME/CFS research projects.

Kati

Patient in training
I watched it and it was interesting. Dr Patrick talked about an ongoing study comparing CFS, alternatively diagnosed lyme disease, and systemic lupus. At some point a slide was shown where CFS patient antibodies formed several clusters in a specific test. It was complicated and I didn't understand much but there are patterns.
can you please say more?

Gemini

At some point a slide was shown where CFS patient antibodies formed several clusters in a specific test. It was complicated and I didn't understand much but there are patterns.

I remember one color slide showing the clear pattern from the Lupus cohort with ME/CFS's pattern also presented (wonder if we're thinking about the same slide?)

I'd really like to see all of them again, @A.B. like your idea of PR asking Dr. Patrick for a copy.

Dr. Patrick's presentation was extremely hopeful-- they seem to be letting the data lead the science. A good way to start off the new year!