• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

James Coyne to talk in Edinburgh Monday 16 Nov 2015 7pm

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Should we split it by time and apportion bits out?

Shall we wait and see how usable Parts 2 & 3 are? Hard to get a sense of how much he got blown off-course until we see them. But if it looks promising we should be able to divvy it up between us, especially since sometimes he's reading off the slides and the text of the slides appears below the Slideshare display. Easy to copy and paste those bits.

SOC

Coyne says he had "very nasty" exchanges with Goldacre in DMs on Twitter. Goldacre thinks Coyne is organising a group of patients to harass him, that he's part of a conspiracy.
Good grief! Just goes to show what kind of real skeptic he is.

How about some evidence of this conspiracy, Goldacre? Or is evidence only necessary to support other people's extraordinary claims?

user9876

Coyne says he had "very nasty" exchanges with Goldacre in DMs on Twitter. Goldacre thinks Coyne is organising a group of patients to harass him, that he's part of a conspiracy.

Maybe Goldacre has believed the propaganda put out by the SMC and is worried that hordes of marauding patients are about to attack him. With them being lead into battle by Coyne.

SOC

Maybe Goldacre has believed the propaganda put out by the SMC and is worried that hordes of marauding patients are about to attack him. With them being lead into battle by Coyne.
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
Guy needs a reality check.

I'm still waiting for real evidence of any kind of dangerous behavior on the part of PWME. Nasty letters don't count. They may be rude, but they're not evidence of potential danger to anyone.

What a bunch of paranoid scaredy cats. Look at them cross-eyed and they break down into tears and complain they're being attacked by militants.

Simon

IF anyone does want to transcribe (please, and thank you) from the video, this is a great tool:
Transcribe - online transcription and dictation software

You can pause/restart while keeping your hands on the keyboard and loads more goodies (inc adding time stamps to help you find key bits). Costs $20 a year, but there is a free trial - though now only for one week. Should be enough. I used it free before, and it saved me a lot of time.

Ah, this is properly free:

http://otranscribe.com/
not used it, but see Lifehacker review oTranscribe is a Free, Keyboard-Friendly Transcription Tool
(actually, seems to do much the same as Transcribe above, I'll probably try it)

Scarecrow

Revolting Peasant
Sorry for keeping everyone in suspense. Over the last few days I've realised that I could do with:
  • a more powerful laptop,
  • better broadband and
  • more know how.
I've finally got the video and separate audio uploads completed today.

Here's the plan.

The second and third video files from the talks are full of interruptions that aren't always to the point and they do make viewing very difficult. Coyne's very easy to make out because he's facing the video camera. The audience aren't so easy to understand* and this can also make it difficult to follow Coyne at times when he is replying to some of their questions and heroically trying to get things back on track. So what I'm going to do is make the second and third video clips public on Youtube but I'm not going to describe them or tag them properly so that they don't come up on searches.

That's going to let everyone see them while I edit the videos into a format that will hopefully be more watchable.

I'd prefer that the links to the unedited parts 2 and 3 are not tweeted or made widely available because I don't think that they do a good job of getting the message across. I'm hoping that taking out some of the worst sections will help considerably.

As I embed the links here, I'm going to give some brief notes about where the talk goes off track and you can make your own minds up about what to watch. I think that just knowing in advance what is part of the coherent talk and what is the audience dragging things off will actually help you to follow what's going on if you do decide to watch the whole.

worldbackwards

As I embed the links here, I'm going to give some brief notes about where the talk goes off track and you can make your own minds up about what to watch. I think that just knowing in advance what is part of the coherent talk and what is the audience dragging things off will actually help you to follow what's going on if you do decide to watch the whole.
If we're going to transcribe this, might it be an idea that we stick to the bits you think are relevant, and then that would give you something to use in terms of getting the message across that you want to. If you still think that's worth doing.

Scarecrow

Revolting Peasant
Just FYI people will be able to see the other videos by clicking through from the first one to anything else uploaded as "public" in your youtube profile.
Yes, I realise. I don't want to censor information. It was after all a public talk. This is all about us getting a watchable and coherent message across.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
@Scarecrow
I've transcribed the first 12 minutes of part three. E-mail me and I'll sent it to you.

I was thinking we could post it on the members-only thread or set up a Dropbox document or something that doesn't require registration for people to add their bits - and that then one of us could do an edit on the whole thing.

Just thinking that not everybody will want to share their email addresses and it's probably not necessary anyway for this kind of job.

I'll wait to hear from @Scarecrow for guidance, though.

Scarecrow

Revolting Peasant
@Scarecrow
I've transcribed the first 12 minutes of part three. E-mail me and I'll sent it to you.
Excellent! Thank you.

The audio file is uploading at the moment to SoundCloud. It's a really hoggy app and it doesn't want to share bandwidth with anything else. Not even Phoenix Rising - I'm back on my phone again. Sigh.

You can either post here or I'll email you in about 4 hours. Thanks again.

Esther12

I don't think that there's anything there which really reflects badly on anyone. It was a bit frustrating to listen to, but I thought the crowd's comments were not unreasonable so much as ill-timed. And Coyne dealt with things well (other than starting by saying people could interrupt at any time... bad James Coyne).

It was probably too early for Coyne to be able to do a great video for activism aimed at those outside of patients, and in some ways it seemed that it was aimed more at us than others. I thought he made a lot of good points, and in some ways, I thought he had a better understanding of the politics than the patients who were discussing things with him. I think that Britain is such a deferential society that the politics of science matter more to us than the politics of the street. I felt like Coyne didn't want to do too much to contradict the patients on this, and maybe felt that it wasn't his place, but I'd have liked to hear more from him on this.

All sounds very hopeful to me. Great work to everyone involved in making this talk happen... and that includes everyone working over the years to carefully uncover problems with the biopsychosocial approach to CFS, and introduce these problems to people like Coyne. Fingers crossed we're getting some real traction now. I think that their excuses have already been picked apart, and as soon as we had some people on-side with the authority to insist on real debate, the whole BPS project could crumble pretty quick.