• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

James Coyne standing up for pts with ME like no one else

jimells

Wessely has also published statements suggesting that assistance (specifically in the form of carers) may "perpetuate" disability. It's not a far cry to suggest he'd be in favor of removing other disability assistance like bus passes. Or to metaphorically turn the dogs lose on patients who don't stay in line.

It would be kinder to feed patients to the lions than to cut off benefits so people can die slowly or be forced to kill themselves.

I lived for a year and a half on no income except food stamps while waiting for Social Security to be approved. If they had delayed a few more months I would've lost my home and I would be dead because I am way too sick to live under a bridge, even in a warm climate.

This is certainly a civil rights issue. In the US our treatment is a violation of the "Americans with Disabilities Act", but it can only be used by individuals going to court and pursuing claims against individual businesses/doctors/hospitals, etc. There is no government agency to enforce the law on behalf of disabled people.

jimells

I see us pwME as having been put in a double bind by the psychiatric stronghold - we have to be model patients, impeccably behaved, emotionally balanced to prove we are not mentally ill or vexatious, attention seekers or harassers!
If we complain in anyway we are labelled as troublemakers, but if we don't nothing changes.

I've never behaved impeccably - why should I start now?

Whatever patients and advocates do or don't do is irrelevant to the Wesseley School's strategy. They are going to fight with whatever tools are available - as will we :thumbsup:

I guess no one follows Richard Dawkins? This barely registers on the controversy scale yet! Totally support this guy, linking it to the civil rights movement is a super smart idea, because to frame it in that way means anyone opposing it is also opposing the civil rights movement and no one wants to be seen doing that (and rightly so, but especially so in this emerging environment of Twitter political correctness lynch mobs). Whatever other impacts there might be one certainty is that it will result in consciousness raising and a re-opening of the debate, which I am sure must be incredibly frustrating to Wessely/White et al. when they thought they had finally put criticism of PACE to bed. Of course, one has to hope he doesn't drift towards demagoguery because that will just provide ammunition to discredit the arguments in their entirety.

GreyOwl

Dx: strong belief system, avoidance, hypervigilant
Micah Allen's spelling is terrible! "insightment"? What does that even mean? And "patient's suffering". Give me strength.

Is it a faux pas to tweet a spelling correction?

Valentijn

Micah Allen's spelling is terrible! "insightment"? What does that even mean? And "patient's suffering". Give me strength.
I'm hoping he meant "encitement". But better not to get snotty about it. It's just twitter, and some people (including Coyne) have dyslexia or similar.

TiredSam

The wise nematode hibernates

Is it a faux pas to tweet a spelling correction?
Germans do it, but it's very annoying and makes you look like a point-scoring pedant trying to avoid the real issue. When Germans do it with me I switch to typing in English.

Not all Germans of course. Most of them are lovely.

skipskip30

I'm hoping he meant "encitement". But better not to get snotty about it. It's just twitter, and some people (including Coyne) have dyslexia or similar.

This is why I dislike people correcting grammar and spelling. As long as you can understand them then why does it matter? Its extremely demeaning to be 'corrected' when you have a condition or illness that makes writing difficult.

Im trying to not be too rude here but its something that really gets to me having a close friend with severe dyslexia.