• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

James Coyne: "As major medical journals balk, BMJ moves forward with routine data sharing"

Sasha

Fine, thank you
James Coyne said:
Peter White and the PACE investigators’ crude, personal, and unprofessional response to my request for data was reflexive. They are accustomed to receiving those requests from patients in a culture where patients should be seen and not heard. They were responding as if I was somehow below them in the hierarchy in which their views should be uncritically accepted with all the deference that colonialists are due. How vexatious of me to challenge the interpretations of their data that they were putting forth…

Once I was cast among the patients, I was subject to the usual smearing and collective punishment for real and imaginary hostile actions of a few patients in a familiar narrative crafted by Simon Wessley’s Science Media Centre . Although Ihave a stronger publication record than any of the PACE investigators, concerns were raised about releasing data to those who are incapable of analyzing it.

Over time, I’ve gotten to know some of the individuals who have previously requested data, although I have never met them. They impress me as amply qualified to analyze data, and they often analyze data that I report in my blogs, with them asking for no credit. Many of them have been academics or have had other professional achievements. Others were progressing well along in their educational pathways before they were struck by their illness. Still others become citizen-scientists with the capacity to publish peer reviewed letters to the editor as a result of struggling to deal with their misunderstood medical condition.

There is something ugly, pernicious going on here, more fundamental than the question of data sharing. Being a patient with chronic fatigue syndrome/ myalgic encephalomyelitis is what sociologists like Erving Goffman would call a spoiled identity . Being a patient means being stripped of all other significant social identities and being reduced to a common denominator, stigmatized role.

https://jcoynester.wordpress.com/20...bmj-moving-forward-with-routine-data-sharing/

Sasha

Fine, thank you
James Coyne said:
The battle lines are getting more clearly drawn and the stakes are being raised. We need everybody supporting data sharing to unite.

The BMJ and patients with chronic fatigue syndrome/ myalgic encephalomyelitis have an unfortunate history with perceived injustices and wounds on both sides. I see a clear indication The BMJ editorial staff is willing to put that aside. I hope the patients can do similarly.

I also hope patients can do similarly - very much in our interests to get along with the BMJ and to support them in their encouragement of data-sharing.

BurnA

Good article. Glad to see he is not letting go of this one. And he isn't afraid to point out Wessleys hypocrisy.

Maybe copying so much ( or any ) of the article is unneccesary ?

Esther12

I also hope patients can do similarly - very much in our interests to get along with the BMJ and to support them in their encouragement of data-sharing.

I'm willing to put it aside, but not forget that we're still owed an apology from some of the things they've done in the past.

Comet

I'm Not Imaginary
James Coyne said:
Peter White and the PACE investigators’ crude, personal, and unprofessional response to my request for data was reflexive. They are accustomed to receiving those requests from patients in a culture where patients should be seen and not heard. They were responding as if I was somehow below them in the hierarchy in which their views should be uncritically accepted with all the deference that colonialists are due. How vexatious of me to challenge the interpretations of their data that they were putting forth…

Once I was cast among the patients, I was subject to the usual smearing and collective punishment for real and imaginary hostile actions of a few patients in a familiar narrative crafted by Simon Wessley’s Science Media Centre . Although Ihave a stronger publication record than any of the PACE investigators, concerns were raised about releasing data to those who are incapable of analyzing it.

Over time, I’ve gotten to know some of the individuals who have previously requested data, although I have never met them. They impress me as amply qualified to analyze data, and they often analyze data that I report in my blogs, with them asking for no credit. Many of them have been academics or have had other professional achievements. Others were progressing well along in their educational pathways before they were struck by their illness. Still others become citizen-scientists with the capacity to publish peer reviewed letters to the editor as a result of struggling to deal with their misunderstood medical condition.

There is something ugly, pernicious going on here, more fundamental than the question of data sharing. Being a patient with chronic fatigue syndrome/ myalgic encephalomyelitis is what sociologists like Erving Goffman would call a spoiled identity . Being a patient means being stripped of all other significant social identities and being reduced to a common denominator, stigmatized role.

Can I Like this 10,000 times?

Edit: James Coyne quote was posted by @Sasha, but not sure how to include it in the reply.