• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

IVIG and Working

frozenborderline

Interesting. IVIG seems really intense, would it be better to get it at home than in hospital because of the time required if doing a careful/slow infusion to prevent reaction?

Gingergrrl

Interesting. IVIG seems really intense, would it be better to get it at home than in hospital because of the time required if doing a careful/slow infusion to prevent reaction?

It truly depends on your individual situation. At the time I started IVIG, I was considered too high of an anaphylaxis risk to do IVIG at home. I did it at an outpatient infusion center that is connected to the hospital where my mast cell doctor works. If I'd had anaphylaxis from the IVIG (which I never did in two years but in the beginning we were extremely careful), I would have been 5 min away if I needed to be transported to the Emergency Room.

Last edited:

Learner1

I just had an infusion at my house that lasted from 9:30am to 6pm. I do it at a much slower rate than most people, and am given Solumedrol and Benadryl (and an NSAID if I need it) and I have an Epipen and an "anaphylaxis kit" and am treated by specially trained, experienced nurses who watch me carefully and take vitals every 15-20 minutes.

But I am at home, where I can go outside, sleep in my own bed, eat whatever I want whenever I want, throw a load of clothes into the dryer, watch TV, etc. Beats a stuffy hospital...