• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

It's raining articles! Leonard Jason in the WSJ!

urbantravels

disjecta membra
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704507404576179031979295592.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

In 2005, the CDC revised the Fukuda criteria in an attempt to identify patients with more precision. My research team believes the new criteria are still too vague and could potentially include people with primary depression. This ambiguity over definitions has made it difficult for researchers to pinpoint a biological cause. When investigators compare very different samples, it is difficult, if not impossible, to replicate findings from one lab to another. And when consistent biological findings do not emerge, investigators might inappropriately conclude that CFS is only a psychiatric problem.

Chris

Good catch! We all owe a big "thank-you" to Leonard Jason, who really has been both a stalwart defender and an excellent researcher. So "thank you" to both Jason and Urbantravels! Chris

Enid

Many thanks urbantravels - it's so good to see articles "raining" in now.

SilverbladeTE

By the way, an asshole pyschiatrist said my Mum had "neurasthenia" this was back aorund late 1960s
no, she had arachnoiditis, severely nasty scarring of the spinal cord caused by injury (got her back broken when a patient fell and grabbed her) and a side effect of an X-Ray flourescent dye that got banned years later (but was then exported to Africa because well, it seems Africans don't count as "real people" when it comes to profit and safety, blech! :headache: )

Because she was a woman, she therefore HAD to have a "mental condition" in the useless twat's eyes, psychiatrists seemingly thinking that only "real men" suffer "real diseases".
Archnoiditis is, fyi, incredibly painful, pinches off nerves, and causes numb areas as well.

markmc20001

I keep seeing mention of "fatiguing illnesses" going back in to the 1930's. However, I think it confuses things.

More often than not people mention the 1980's or later being about the time things changed for them.